Do I need a new modem?
ECUnited
Enthusiast - Level 2

We're in an area where we can only get the 1-3 Mbps (faster) plan and normally it works fairly well. However, over the past couple of weeks my connection gets really slow, and I lose my DSL connection quite frequently. 

When the speed gets slow, I can turn off the modem, and provided it connects, the speed improves (2.5 - 2.8 Mbps download on Speedtest), but I'm having to reset the modem nearly everyday, sometimes multiple times in a day.

Is that indicative of the need for a new modem? My current modem is fairly old (Westell 6100).  

Has anyone purchased a modem from somewhere other than Verizon and has that helped?

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Re: Do I need a new modem?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

A loss in speed and a large amount of disconnects generally point towards line trouble, not a dying modem. Before we start blaming it on the modem, let's check the Transceiver statistics out. Visit http://192.168.1.1/ (which will work if you are not behind a router using that address) and click on System Monitoring. Choose Advanced Monitors from the Left Navigation, and then choose Transceiver Statistics. Post up the contents on that page.

If you need a Username/Password, try the following:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

For the record, you can use any DSL modem that is compatible with the ADSL Standard. Every off the shelf modem you find should support it. In some cases, another modem may show better results, though it's generally a difference between obtaining a particular speed over a longer line or sensitivity to noise on the line.

ECUnited
Enthusiast - Level 2

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision: 7.2.3.0  

Vendor ID Code: 4  

Line Mode: ADSL2+ Mode  

Data Path: Interleaved    

Transceiver Information Downstream Path Upstream Path

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 1043 859 Margin (dB) 14.5 9.0 Line Attenuation (dB) 37.5 24.5 Transmit Power (dBm) 16.7 12.1

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sorry about the delay in replying. Anyhow, your line seems to be having a noise issue. Your line is short enough (theoretically) to handle the 3Mbps provisioning without an issue, but it is barely holding 1Mbps. If you have access to a NID, inside of the NID (if it's recent) there should be a test jack. Plug your modem into the test jack and post up the new Statistics the modem reports. This will let us determine if there is an issue with your home's wiring, or if it's something Verizon needs to correct.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the OP does not know what a NID is/looks like, points OP to

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317

All DSLR (dslreports.com) FAQs -> Verizon Online DSL FAQ -> Hardware -> What is a NID?

0 Likes
darel

I have been having my internet service dropping off a lot over last 2 months and it keeps getting worse . Today It went completely for some time. I had to disconnect my wireless router and use my hard wired computer to get on line but it is real slow on it and I need to go into the network sharing center to get it started every time I restart my computer and it is very slow. What is going on with this connection?

Thanks

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@darel wrote:

I have been having my internet service dropping off a lot over last 2 months and it keeps getting worse . Today It went completely for some time. I had to disconnect my wireless router and use my hard wired computer to get on line but it is real slow on it and I need to go into the network sharing center to get it started every time I restart my computer and it is very slow. What is going on with this connection?

Thanks

Would you be able to start a new thread for us so we can work with you on this problem? Start off by posting speed tests of the service while you are online. http://www.speedtest.net/ is a good place to do this which also allows you to share your speed test results. If you can, also tell us what modem you have, along with any separate router you may be using.

0 Likes