Don't Cap me, bro?!?
smokemonkey76
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am highly disturbed by what I have discovered while working with Verizon Technical Services in Maryland. I live in the 21784 area code and I am paying for the high speed DSL service available to me because there is no FIOS in my area. The package I pay for is supposed to supply me with 7.1 – 15 Mbps download speed and 768kbps upload. I understand in the fine print that number can vary depending on things like line conditions. I felt recently like I was not getting the full potential of what Verizon said they would deliver if it was available. My own tests were showing my peaking just above 5 Mbps. After a long discussion and troubleshooting, I was told by Verizon that I am capped at 5 Mbps. The first question that can be answered is why is Verizon capping my rate? I am not on a shared service in the way that it works with Cable provided internet. My connection across my landline is modem to modem. If you can provide me a higher rate for my costs, why would you not do so?

In addition, I requested a line test to determine the quality of my signal and my distance to the modem. My Signal to Noise ratio is very good and I am barely over 4,000 feet from the central office. I know in previous cases many years ago that speeds up to 40 Mbps could be had within that distance and line quality. I am not asking for 40 Mbps, but I am asking why I can’t be provided a rate above the 7Mbps and close to the 15 Mbps. If I have peak conditions for a higher rate, why can’t I achieve this?

It is obvious that the front line customer service representative does not have a clue. It seems that the Tier III technician is aware of my situation and referred me to a group in Texas to provide me more detail, but I haven’t gone that route. I would like to stay with the service even though FIOS is not available to me. However, at my monthly cost for phone and internet, it seems smarter for me to go to Xfinity for the same monthly cost to get digital phone service over Internet provided at 25 Mbps download and 5 Mbps upload. If Verizon can’t bring better products to my area, the least you can do is provide me the best possible service for my money and not cap my rate.

I would really like an answer to this inquiry. Please feel free to make this as technical as needed. I have had almost 20 years experience as a communications and network Engineer with the Governement and the private sector. I was also formerly a BBN employee that worked under GTE Internetworking and the eventual merger to Verizon with Bell Atlantic. I was a Broadband Engineer when it was in its infancy for residential service in the Maryland area.

0 Likes
Re: Don't Cap me, bro?!?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Would you be able to share the line statistics with us from the modem? I'm hoing it's as simple as getting Verizon to actually turn the line speed up. I can help with that. If you need help getting the line stats, just tell us the make and model of your modem. Assuming it's not a D-Link modem from Verizon, where I don't know of a way to get the statistics at present, every other modem should have a method.

0 Likes
smokemonkey76
Enthusiast - Level 2
Don't laugh. I've had verizon forever. It's a westell 2100. ModelB90-210015-04. I got a free westell 6100 from someone at work for free recently, but hadn't installed it yet. I asked the verizon folks if my old modem was what limited me and they said no. They told me I was capped at 5 Mbps. No explanation. I'm pretty tech savy. Never accessed the modem before. I have a linksys wireless E3000 for my LAN. Thanks in advance for the help.
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@smokemonkey76 wrote:
Don't laugh. I've had verizon forever. It's a westell 2100. ModelB90-210015-04. I got a free westell 6100 from someone at work for free recently, but hadn't installed it yet. I asked the verizon folks if my old modem was what limited me and they said no. They told me I was capped at 5 Mbps. No explanation. I'm pretty tech savy. Never accessed the modem before. I have a linksys wireless E3000 for my LAN. Thanks in advance for the help.

Ok.

If you want to use the Westell B90-210015-04 to get the statistics, please answer as many questions as possible:

#1 Do you only have one computer or least two computers behind your RJ-45 WAN port ( Linksys E3000 ) router ?

#2 Do you know how to setup a Static IP on your computer ?

#3 If you do not know the answer to my last question, then it would help to know the OS and Version of the computer (or computers).

For example, I have one computer running Windows XP Home SP3 and another computer running Lubuntu 13.10

#4 While I know your RJ-45 WAN port router has a built in networking switch and is IP aware, do you have a networking hub or switch that is not IP aware ?

#5 Do you have any computer(s) with at least two NICs (and one if the NICs is a wired NIC) ?

#6 If not to my last question, do you have any computer(s) with a wired NIC ?

0 Likes
smokemonkey76
Enthusiast - Level 2
#1 I have a laptop And an old spare laptop that I can plug into the router or directly into the DSL modem. Currently, there is an xbox, a dish receiver, and a blurry player plugged into theE3000.

#2 yeah, I can set up a static.

#4 only other switch I have is a small linksys 5 port in my bedroom for a desktop, printer, and another blu ray. If I need to I can borrow a manageless 4 port net gear from work today.

I'm a senior net eng, so you can hit me with the details of what I need to do. Should I look up the default info on the westell to connect to it? What are the default authentication info or will it be my verizon login? I assumed if I am capped, which is what I was told, it would not be set on my local modem, but the remote one at the central office about 4k feet away. If you can get me to lift the cap, that is awesome. I'll reply later in the day today
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

With the old DSL modem (not the Westell 6100)

Option one: Direct connection to the DSL modem

OR

Option number two - This Setup

a) A networking hub/switchconnected between the DSL modem and the RJ-45 WAN port router

b) A computer with a wired NIC connected to the hub/switch that is connected between the DSL modem and the RJ-45 WAN port router.

c) To get on-line with the computer that is connected to that hub/swtich, that computer must have two NICs and the NICs have to be in two subnets.

For example the one that was connected to the hub/switch had 192.168.0.9 with the subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and the one that was connected by wire or without wireless to the RJ-45 WAN port router has 192.168.1.9 with the subnet mask 255.255.255.0

-> And then regardless if the computer is directly connected to the modem OR not - using http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16899 (if on Windows)

or a Mac, Unix/Linux tool if not on Windows

a) http://sourceforge.net/projects/wdiag/

b) http://adslm.dohrenburg.net/linux/linux.php

c) http://brightrain.aerifal.cx/~niklata/docs/westell-modem-stats.html

Note the adslm.dohrenburg.net and the brightrain.aerifal.cx site have the details of why on Windows one has to use the Westell Modem Browser.

If you were to use the Westell 6100 (newer DSL modem), then there are different options.

As long as..

#1 you do not follow the FAQ at http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

#2 the RJ-45 WAN port router's WAN port is connected to the Westell

#3 the two routers are on two different LAN subnets ( for example Westell LAN is 192.168.1.1 and the RJ-45 WAN port router's LAN IP is 192.168.2.1 )

then Go to http://192.168.1.1/ for me and do the following:

a) If you see a Blue and White Westell page, mouse over Troubleshooting, go to DSL, and choose Transceiver Statistics. Copy and paste the information on that page.

b) If using the Red and Black Firmware: Go to System Monitoring > Advanced Monitors > Transceiver Statistics. Copy and paste the information on that page.

c) Try visiting http://192.168.1.1/transtat.htm which is a direct link to the Stats on older modems.

d) If you need a Username and Password, try the following:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

admin/Serial Number.

By Serial Number, I don't mean type in the words Serial Number. I mean find and type in the serial number found on the bottom of this router.

If the Westell 6100 is at 192.168.1. you do follow the FAQ at http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600 and the RJ-45 WAN port router is setup as a Hub/Switch/Wap, then the same as above.

Note - where the RJ-45 WAN port router is setup as a Hub/Swtich/Wap, I mean for example: The Westell's LAN IP is 192.168.1.1, the first IP Address that the Westell gives out is 192.168.1.100, the last IP Address that the Westell handles out is 192.168.1.200, the RJ-45 WAN port router's LAN IP is 192.168.1.6 ( outside of the DHCP Range of the Westell's DHCP Range ), the RJ-45 WAN port router's DHCP Server is disabled, the one of the RJ-45 LAN ports of the RJ-45 WAN port router is connected the Westell 6100 and the RJ-45 WAN port router's WAN port is not used.

If you were to follow the FAQ at http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600, it depends on the firmware on that RJ-45 WAN port router.

If using DD-WRT third party firmware, for example.

#1 Both router must be in two different subnets.

#2 And for the rest of the details I point you to the DD-WRT.com -> Community -> DD-WRT Wiki and then go to Tutorials (Basic and advanced configuration tasks for your router) -> Access To Modem Configuration

Direct link http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Access_To_Modem_Configuration

0 Likes
smokemonkey76
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry, I haven't disappeared. I have been traveling and super busy. I will review this tonight to see what I need to pull. Thanks in advance for the support.