Dynamic DNS setup for Actiontec GT704-WG?
bobgatpdx

Hello,

I'm trying to setup dynamic DNS using dyndns.com.

I can't find the right place in the Actiontec wireless router setup screens to do this.

The firmware version of the Actiontec GT704-WG is: 30.17.0.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

regards,

bobg

0 Likes
Re: Dynamic DNS setup for Actiontec GT704-WG?
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Go to to the dyndns site and sign up for a dyndns name - basically a static name is tied to an ip address that will be updated with the dhcp address when the router address changes, pretty infrequently anyway.

Go to router admin advanced and select Personal Domain Name

enter the dyndns name you created under host name

select broadband ethernet

select dyndns.org

enter the dyndns userid you created

enter the dyndns password you created

say OK

That's it

If you want to access your router externally in the future use the dyndns name that you created with any associated port needed.

Anytime the router ip address changes the dyndns client on the router will send the new ip address to the dydns server which will update your dyndns name pointer record.

If you don't trust the router to do it then you can add a client to an internal machine instead or in addition.

azalea4va
Enthusiast - Level 2

@dslr595148 wrote:

Go to router admin advanced and select Personal Domain Name

enter the dyndns name you created under host name

I have the same router/firmware (actiontec gt704-wg-b/30.17.0).  When I go to the router admin web page and click on the "advanced setup" menu, there is no option for "personal domain name".  I have found no place for entering this info.  Anyone have any ideas?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok, try Advanced -> DDNS.

0 Likes

't forget to setup port forwarding. If you want to RDP into your computer make sure you have port 3389 assigned to your IP address. This will allow you to connect remotely if you have signed up for a service like dyndns

0 Likes