Extreme latency between the hours of 8PM-11:30-12PM nightly
GregJonezz
Enthusiast - Level 1

As of 5 or 6 days ago, I've been experiencing extremely high latency during 8PM-11:30-12PM EST, usually. It is not that random, and it has happened every night for the past week or so. I've tried resetting my router/modem, and checking my computers to see if anything is using bandwidth. There is nothing using the bandwidth in my household, during those tests. I have one computer upstairs on the wireless network, and one downstairs directly connected via ethernet to the router/modem. They are both experiencing this issue. 

I have a Ventrilo server in Texas that I use for online gaming, for friends and people I meet online. During all other hours of the day, my ping to this server is between 88-95, usually; However, during the hours I described before, the ping fluctuates between 140-300, usually in the 200's. You can imagine that this makes things heavily frustrating. Furthermore, making most online play almost impossible. 

This problem happened out of nowhere, it was fine for months up until 5 or 6 days ago.

Does anyone have any ideas, or should I just contact Verizon and argue with them for hours? (This has happened once before, but it went away after about 3 days. They were no help and I was on the phone / chat with them for about 5 hours.)

0 Likes
Re: Extreme latency between the hours of 8PM-11:30-12PM nightly
kleishopper
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same issue in PA.  I'm at the point I'm so sick of talking to support when all they want to do is get into your computer and it has nothing to do with it.  Its peak times and they don't have enough bandwidth to handle what they have. I work for a phone company and we have just put money to upgrade.  I live in small town USA and they don't put any money into a fiber backbone.  I'm almost ready to go back to cable.  I do online gaming and have not been able to do much with the latency.  I have 7.1 Meg and between 8 and 12am i can go down as low as .44 Meg.  Hope Verizon does something soon or they will have one less customer soon.

GregJonezz
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hey, yeah. I'm supposed to be getting 7mbps (the highest for my area,) unfortunately, It's usually around 6mbps, and the speed doesn't drop when I'm getting this latency issue (according to speedtest, and the Verizon test on their webpage,) so I'm thinking this is more of a congestion, or connection issue, but I'm hoping they can resolve it, because quite frankly, it's bull**bleep**.

0 Likes
GregJonezz
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yet again, my latency is through the roof.

0 Likes
GregJonezz
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yet again, another day with outrageous latency.

0 Likes
Litehouse1

I've been having the same problem ever since Hurricane Sandy.  I've had them into my home a few times.  The technician saw the same problem with their own computer totally isolated on their own wire to the house, and that wasn't enough to get it fixed.  At some point I'm going back to cablevision, but they have their own set of problems that makes me reluctant to switch.

I've also been experience a wireless range problem ever since then too.

One thing I will say is Cablevision support is much better than Verizon.

0 Likes