Extremely Slow Connection
csollingerbill
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been trying to figure out the reason for this ridiculously slow internet at my mother's house for a little while now. Here's a quick look into how bad it really is: http://www.speedtest.net/result/1361121892.png.

So I tried the Verizon instant message tech people and the first one did a basic troubleshoot with no benefit. "I'm certain after you restart your modem you will see the results you want." Certain. The second guy forwarded me to the phone because he couldn't figure it out, while the guy on the phone decided I needed to upgrade the service- because this is the fastest we can get on our plan. I find it hard to believe we're on a 60 KB/s plan.

I just don't see how we're paying the same as some other people and getting dial up speeds. Furthermore I don't see how we've been on and off the phone with Verizon (my mother went through a huge ordeal earlier this year) and we've gotten no answers. Why is this still happening?

So- hopefully this finds somebody that can do something about it. Nobody's downloading movies, playing network games, or uploading to wikileaks. It's just slow, and it's your fault. Smiley Mad

-Chris

Re: Extremely Slow Connection
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Have you been able to try this with a different PC?  This makes troublshooting easier so we can determine if its a PC problem (virus, trojan, etc.) or rather the Internet connection is hosed up.

Jim

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is this a DSL connection or a FiOS connection? Let's clear this fact up first. FiOS does not use modems unless your mother is located in an apartment that uses VDSL connectivity.

csollingerbill
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well a thought is that we are using many devices on the single connection, but it still shouldn't be that slow. It's this slow on all of the computers that try to connect.

If you're looking for more troubleshooting we upgraded our modem and router a while ago with no improvement.

csollingerbill
Enthusiast - Level 2

It is a DSL line through router and modem, but plugged right in it's still just as slow.

[poking around this forum I see there's a place for people to moan about thier slow DSL connections. If you can move this to that forum feel free, otherwise I can post there and just go get FiOS]

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Alrighty. Once you're plugged directly into the modem, see if you can obtain the modem's Transceiver Statistics for us to see. If the Transceiver Statistics are fine, we can see what the deal is on Verizon's side of things that might be making the DSL perform poorly.