Extremely upset
Kesugeo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Before I go into this let me drop a bit of history on this subject.

I recently moved into a very rural part of VA, I deliberately chose a planned housing area because I was told that it had been set up for DSL ... worked fine got DSL.  I lived in this place for almost 2 years before I tried for a different place with lower rent.

No DSL available at the new place.  Cost of living went up ... GF wasn't happy you all know the drill.  Was at this residence for 6 months.

Ended up finding out the old place was still available for rent so we moved back in.  Here's the kicker I have gotten told that DSL isn't available in this area!

The excuse I have been handed time and time again is "the central office is closed" ... what the heck does that mean anyways?  I finally got some clueless phone rep to try and tell me that it meant that the office that handled installations was closed and nobody now handled my area for installation.  I need no installation ... the house is obviously wired for DSL (I had it before), I have the modem / filters / cat-5 cables.

It simply boggles my mind that, for this area, a major planned housing area that has known DSL customers (many of my coworkers live there and have DSL) has nobody or Verizon has no plans to grow OR MAINTAIN their DSL system.

I have been forced to use my cell phone as my modem but due to spring I now get crap cell service.

Oh, on another note AT&T obviously cares about this area ... built 2 new cell towers last year (they now have better coverage).  Sorry if AT&T ever offers an unlimited data plan in the $30 area I most likely will jump ship ...

Re: Extremely upset
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

As much as people can hope that Wireless providers will offer cheap, unlimited packages, I don't see it happening any time soon. I'd hate to be the bearer of bad news in that aspect, but knowing providers today, each one of them are going to be wanting to maximize profits but keep loads off of upgraded/not 100% optimized networks by placing data usage caps. As people seem to want to use Wireless more, the caps will simply get lower and overages will simply get higher. The only providers that don't seem to be following that trend, are really Sprint with every package they have, and Verizon if you count a Vanilla iPhone data plan as a connection since Tethering is capped and is extra a month.

What Verizon probably meant by the CO being closed could be two things. Either no one was in the CO at the time of you calling, so a question about DSL availability couldn't be addressed, or the CO is listed in Verizon's Database as being out of capacity. I wouldn't expect capacity to free up until someone nearby your home cancels service, freeing up a port.

Re: Extremely upset
Kesugeo
Enthusiast - Level 2

What I do not get however is the complete lack of care for this area Verizon seems to have.  AT&T while they do not have a competitve data plan so they fact that they had a hole in their cell coverage and built 2 new towers to cover.  Verizon on the other hand according to their posted coverage map has a giant hole in this area that is frequented over the summer months by vacationing types.

Also this area has many open lots, for sale homes, and low prices so one would think that Verizon would make some kind of effort to at least try to keep up with demand.  Not just leave many potentially paying customers swinging in the breeze with nary an answer but "the central office is closed"