FIXING FROZEN FTP Files on your WEB SPACE
Tom234A
Enthusiast - Level 2

I thought I’d put this on to help anyone still stuck with frozen files on their “free” web space, loaded prior to 8-2011. There is nothing you can do. Calling India was a waste of time for me and they even marked the problem in their India books as fixed once they couldn’t help and hung up. When I went and posted a message “Please Help” in the Verizon Community, I was referred to a tech by the moderator. Now at least you have it in writing (save your communications). I got a better response when I used the word “frozen”, I guess they understand that. All in all it took a week of repetitive but simple communications. I don’t want to detail the useless attempts I made and hours I spent, I’ve got better things to do. Try a desperate message in Verizon Community and hopefully a moderator will refer you to a tech. If you want to see other stories of this issue, search “delete FTP” in the community forums. Finally, this could all have been avoided if the original message received back in August (or whenever it was) stated “We are changing the way your personal web space will work, and all files need to be deleted by YOU prior to (date), otherwise those files will become “frozen”, they will still count towards your 10 MB of space, but you will not be able to remove them.” Had I received that message, I would have deleted my files. By the way also, the new system for the “free” web space “site builder”  is really really really really really really really really awful. We should have been given a choice of the old system or new system. I don’t buy the excuse of security issues as you can still get FTP access if you pay more. In conclusion, issue resolved but not happy.

0 Likes
Re: FIXING FROZEN FTP Files on your WEB SPACE
Gerard_Sr
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well ya' know they did send out a message, I decided to leave mine the way they were and there they sit.

I'm not really concerned as I have two domains on a host in Atlanta and anothjer domain in Switzerland, so the Verizon stuff is just to use their space.

I was thinking about why they did this. Perhaps it's to prevent someone from uploading nasty stuff, like Trojans or if an account was compromised the same reason.

Also another thought; I wonder what would happen if you just deleted the space and allocated it to another name from your household for 24 hours then re-established it. Logic states that should wipe out everything and you'd be left what can make it through their site builder...

Cordially,

Gerry

0 Likes
Re: FIXING FROZEN FTP Files on your WEB SPACE
Tom234A
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello Gerry- Yes, they sent out a message, which included nothing about remove your files or else they'll freeze them and you lose your space to boot. It did say to save them, and I already had mine saved, so like you and I'm sure hundreds of others, what I had became frozen. Mine were not "FTP" files (whatever they are), they were simple jpg picture files. Why did they do this? Since, and only since, you can buy extra web space with FTP access now, I'd have to guess this was a financial move only, - force the "serious" users to pay more, and eliminate any support (make it all automatic). Finally, I did try deleting eveything, opening up a new name and allocating space to it, etc., but got nowhere. It really really was "frozen". Tech support at 1-800-verizon knows nothing about it, and their English skills are so poor that they really don't get it. They are apparently trained in a series of moves and responses, and if the problem you have doesn't fit, then that's too bad. At least that's what the boss must think. Anyway, perhaps this added info that will help others. Good day....