Fed Up with DSL Dropouts
wyealbert1

Since I received a new Verizon gateway a few weeks ago, I have been plagued with frequent internet disconnects several times a day.  It is impossible to stream movies with this constant interruption in service.  I think it's about time to switch to the local cable company.  A friend of ours has the same problem and Verizon doesn't seem to be able to fix it!

0 Likes
Re: Fed Up with DSL Dropouts
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What are the lights on the Gateway doing during times when the Internet goes out? Specifically, the Internet and DSL lights. What are their flash patterns, colors, etc...

0 Likes
sawdust4
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, I'm not able to give you any solutions however, I may be able to give you some comfort.  You're not alone.  I've had DSL with Verizon for several years now and we lose internet service many times daily.  Upwards of five to 35 times a day.  It's totally unacceptable and there is no solution for it.  Verizon is terrible and if I had another DSL or cable option, I'd take it in a second.  Verizon has replaced my modem about ten times now and it doesn't make a difference.  The wiring in the home was installed brand new and it checks out just fine and Verizon came in and gave me a "dedicated" line to the modem.  Of course, no change to dropouts.  We are unable to stream movies and my kids cannot play any online games with their friends. I've called Verizon over a hundred times and it's a waste.  It's so time consuming and there has never been a solution.  It's been this way since we received services.  Now the lastest thing is that I called and complained about the drop outs a few weeks ago and they said I needed an upgraded modem as the one I had was old.  (That's impossible because they send me a new one frequently).  Anyway, we received the new modem which was the exact same thing we had.  Now they are saying they never received the modem and sent a bill.  Now I need to find the thread about the common Verizon equipment fraud.  It's unbelievable that a company is able to steal and outright lie to people without any consequence at all.  But my hands are tied until another company comes into the area.  I'll ditch Verizon in an instant.  Good luck to finding a solution to your drop outs.  I hope you much more successful than I.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

There are many solutions to a DSL problem. First you need to go around your home and make sure everything plugged into a telephone jack has a micro-filter installed and that the filter is plugged into the jack not the back of the phone. This includes fax machines and alarm systems unless you have a whole home splitter installed with a dedicated DSL jack. The other solutions Verizon is responsible for, which are the distance from the Central Office to your home needs to be less than 18,000 ft on a clean unloaded copper pair. When I say clean I mean free of any metallic troubles such as grounds, shorts and cross battery. These troubles would begin to manifest themselves as noise on your telephone line while you are speaking. Verizon is responsible for these problems outside of your home and you are responsible for them inside your home unless you have a maintenance plan in place with Verizon.

0 Likes