Flaky DSL
clarkmj
Enthusiast - Level 1

So, my DSL started flaking out two months ago. Maybe more. It was only like once a week and I reset the modem and it reconnected, no big deal. But as of the last week or two, it has progressively gotten worse. It is now once a day at minimum and sometimes lasts only 10 minutes, or it could be hours. I either have no Internet or have worse than dial up speeds. In fact, it has taken me 20 minutes just to get to this page to fill this out. I have called customer service and they said there was a problem with the line, they sent out a service guy and guess what? No problems with the line. Every time this happens I try and access the line through 192.168.1.1 and sometimes I get through to access the modem, but other times I get a 400 Bad Request error.

Re: Flaky DSL
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What modem are you running? Unless you have a proxy configured on your computer or there's something cached in the browser, you shouldn't receive a "Bad Request" error from the modem. That to me points to a potentially defective modem/router if it can't handle displaying the administration pages when the connection bounces.

0 Likes
clarkmj
Enthusiast - Level 1

I did clear the cache and it did nothing to change the modem error. The modem is an Actiontech GT784WNV. The error is intermittent itself. Sometimes I can't access the modem, other times I can access it then when I click an internal link then it gives the error. It hardly asks me for a password anymore, more times than not actually.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried giving the Gateway a factory reset by holding down the button found in the back of the Gateway? In addition, if you visit http://192.168.1.1/ when the Gateway wants to work, go to Status, and select Gateway Status, what does the Gateway Utilization tend to show?

0 Likes
jspock

I've been having DSL problems like these for several years and have apparently burned  through three separate modems (all different  models).  According totheVerizon tech's that have come out, its because I live near water, live near a highway, live in an old house, have too many wireless devices in my area or they say they have never seen anything like it before.   I also lose connection frequently when it rains.  I've tried covering the wire with a pieces of plastic where it  enters the house, and it did help some, but not entirely.     Has anyone found a fix (other than getting a new modem) for any of these issues?

Verizon is absolutely no help at all, and like several other psters, I am limited in what I can select for internet access.

0 Likes