HSI speed went from ~340kps to ~110kps! Need help!
klau17
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been a Verizon Customer for well over 10 years and this has never happend to me ever.  My internet service has been down before and after Hurricane Irene has hit NYC for about a month now.  About a week ago Verizon High Speed Internet was finally restored, but ever since I have gotten my internet service back my download speed has gone down from ~320-340 kps to nearly ~100 - 110 kps... peaking at about 150 on a good night.  

I have done a speed test on speedtest.net prior to and have gotten results @ download 3.14 Mbps / upload 110 Mbps

Now after another speedtest my results show @ download 1.09 Mbps / upload 0.27 Mbps.  192.168.1.1 shows speeds of 1312 KBits/Sec by 320 KBits/Sec and my speed is not remotely near that number. 

I really hope a technician or somebody on the forums can assist me in some manner or next.  Thank you guys for your time!

Re: HSI speed went from ~340kps to ~110kps! Need help!
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your line for sure is not synced up properly. Provide your current Modem Transceiver Statistics for us to see. On Verizon's recent Westell modems, you can find the Transceiver Statistics by choosing System Monitioring from the top navigation, selecting Advanced Statistics from the side navigation, and then choosing Transceiver Statistics. Once you have provided this information, locate your NID and connect your modem to the NID, providing the new Transceiver Statistics you see.

If there is no improvement and the statistics do not look good to us, Verizon will need to correct the problem.

For information on what a NID is, see this: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317 . The NID is often located near the Electrical Service Enterance or near the Electrical Panel for your home.

klau17
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi and thank you for your quick reply Smith! 

Here is my Transceiver Statistics:

Transceiver Revision: 7.1.254  

VendorID Code:        4  

Line Mode:               G.DMT-Mode  

Data Path:               Interleaved  

Transceiver Information

Down Stream Path Up Stream Path DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 1312 320

Margin (db) 5.5 12.0

Line Attenuation (db) 43.0 18.5

Transmit Power (db/Hz) 13.0 11.0

I have also checked my NID and all the wires are connected to it ... unless there is something, but I wouldn't know anyhow.  Thanks again!

LionsMike
Enthusiast - Level 2

It is important to differentiate between connection speed and transfer rate  with a connection speed of 1.1 Mbps data is sent back and forth 3 times and inspected to assure that there have been no changes,  so the transfer rate would be somewhere around170 Kbps at best

klau17
Enthusiast - Level 2

LionsMike, where are you getting your numbers from? Are you getting them from interpreting my Transeceiver Statistics?  Your post response does not seem to have any correlation to my inquiry at all.  

If what you are trying to say is that I can download at a speed of 170 Kbps at best, then you are wrong LionsMike.  I have been downloading well over 300 Kbps for over 10 years now.  I pay roughly $40+ a month for High Speed Internet Enhanced and not just High Speed Internet.  A buddy of mine pay Verizon $15+ a month and downloads at a speed of ~115Kbps and that is for High Speed Internet.  

Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sorry about the long reply.

There does seem to be a noise issue with your line, since at your distance you should be able to get 2200kbps to 3360kbps on the sync rate for the downstream. Failing that you should be able to hit the full 1.5Mbps sync rate. Are the above statistics from your NID, or are they from one of your home's phone jacks? If they are from anything but your NID, connect your modem to the NID and provide the new statistics.

0 Likes