Help resolving 20-30% packet loss to many sites inc. google and youtube
Packetloss

I've been having issues with pages stop loading, youtube and netflix are not watchable. Netflix will buffer freeze and stop responding. Youtube will load for several seconds then stop buffering. If I refresh the page it will buffer a bit more then stop. Usually to watch a video all the way through you will have to refresh the page 4-5 times per minute of video buffered. Reading forums is also tedious as you have to constantly hit refresh to get pages to finish loading. I’ve been through the standard modem and router reboots, nothing as made a difference.

Sample ping test:

>ping -n 100 google.com
Ping statistics for 74.125.113.105:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 76, Lost = 24 (24% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 48ms, Maximum = 159ms, Average = 55ms

>ping -n 100 verizon.net
Ping statistics for 206.46.232.39:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Minimum = 75ms, Maximum = 110ms, Average = 77ms

>ping -n 100 youtube.com
Ping statistics for 72.14.204.136:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 71, Lost = 29 (29% loss),
Minimum = 39ms, Maximum = 229ms, Average = 45ms

Speed tests usually report the line around 2MBit. If I connect to the VPN where I work, I do not get packet loss. The fact that the same pings through my VPN do not have the issue leads me to believe its some type of routing issue upstream from my DSLs CO.

Also is there any way I can open an online support ticket that is assigned to a Verizon resource with some chain of accountability. I'm frustrated listening to 10 minutes of automated prompts telling me to reboot the modems to get to a resource that did not understand what I meant by packet loss, then somehow disconnected to start the whole process over again.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Help resolving 20-30% packet loss to many sites inc. google and youtube
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Could you run some Traceroutes for us to see what is going on with the routing? That might help us clue into where the loss is beginning.

0 Likes
Re: Help resolving 20-30% packet loss to many sites inc. google and youtube
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Please post the Transceiver Status from your modem.

#2 If you don't know how to get that info:

a) What is the brand and model of your modem?

b) If you have a seperate router: What is the brand and model of it?

#3 Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace) will contain a hop with your IP address in it. Remove that line. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

0 Likes