Re: High Speed DSL and Streaming/Disconnects!!
rknight1

Can you please help us! We are getting slow speeds and we're paying for 5MPS  and we're getting lower than 1mbps, especially after 5pm.. We stream netflix and movies and alway timing out. We are about to cancel service. All reps go through same steps and get no results.. I think its our modem not putting out the signal it should but yet they wont send us a new one. Whats coming in is right speed but what the modem is putting out is the slow speed

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It looks like the line is having an issue with physically dropping the signal. Would you happen to have access to a NID? It's a good idea to try connecting the modem directly into the NID's test jack to see if perhaps there is an issue with the home's wiring that is degrading the signal coming in and causing errors (A lot of uncorrectibles can tank downstream speeds rather quickly). If you can do this and provide the new Transceiver Statistics, that would be great.

0 Likes
Had_It_With_DSL
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hmmm...not sure what to do, will try to get some help from someone. But, if I don't lose connection to internet, just skyping and gaming disconnects, would this be the cause?  Thanks for all your help Smith!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It can be. That's what we're looking to isolate here. The NID test is pretty easy. I might suggest this FAQ to you to help you out a bit. It's lenghty, but does cover all the bases: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/4787 . Yes, it is for AT&T Southwest, but that doesn't matter. 🙂

0 Likes
Had_It_With_DSL
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi Smith. Finally got the NID test done.  Hope I am giving you what you need.  I am pasting first transceiver tests done while hooked into NID.  I went and played about 15-20 mins of my online game, did not, wow, get my "connection killed" once.  Then again, I hooked all back up as normal following NID test, ran another transceiver test (see seond results below) after playing same amount of time (and did not get "connection killed" that time either?!?!?!).  Highly unusual.  Anywho, here's my test results (first test is from NID connection direct):

This is the test I did at the NID:

Transceiver Statistics Transceiver Revision  A2pB020b3.d20h Vendor ID Code  4D54 Line Mode  ADSL_2plus Data Path FAST  

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 12508 1074 Margin (dB) 18.1 9.8 Line Attenuation (dB) 24.0 9.4 Transmit Power (dBm) 20.7 12.4

I then reconnected to original set up/modem line, results:

Transceiver Statistics Transceiver Revision  A2pB020b3.d20h Vendor ID Code  4D54 Line Mode  ADSL_2plus Data Path FAST  

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 12508 828 Margin (dB) 12.3 9.9 Line Attenuation (dB) 24.0 9.7 Transmit Power (dBm) 22.3 12.4

I hope this is what you needed, pleez, or I may lose my mind (which is somewhat electronically challenged! LOL)

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The statistics are much improved at your NID. Your upstream speed is higher, the margin on the downstream is significantly higher, and the transmit powers are lower. At this point, I believe it's time to start troubleshooting a problem with the internal wiring. If possible, tell us what the modem has to run through. For example, what kind of wiring does your home have? Is it older style Quad/Non-twisted wiring, or is it newer wiring such as CAT3 or CAT5 that is twisted? Is the modem running through a One to Two jack splitter? Is it going through a Surge Protector? Are the jacks in your home daisy chained or do they all meet up at a central location?

If we can isolate what the issue may be in the home, that would help us out. If not, the best course of action here would be to actually run a dedicated wire just for the modem from the NID, filtering out the rest of the home. They have DSL/POTS splitters that can be installed inside of a NID as a line module, or as external, weather-proofed units. These splitters will effectively prevent anything within the home that would deteriorate DSL signal, minus electrical interference (usually) from actually affecting the service. When you install this, you'd typically use CAT3 or CAT5 cable (you only need two wire pairs, so two-pair CAT3 works fine and is cheaper) and set up another wall jack for only the DSL modem, and connect the modem to it. The rest of the house would be connected to the other end of the splitter using the main line that goes from the NID to the "meeting point" in your home.

CAT3 cabling runs for not much at all. You can get a 1000' spool of unterminated CAT3 cabling for no more than $60 usually, and wall jacks are a few dollars at most. No need to terminate the cables (except at the NID, where you need to keep the bare copper from the secondary pair safe as to not corrode), as you'll be doing it using screws on both ends so that eliminates the needs for crimping tools and connectors.

0 Likes
Had_It_With_DSL
Enthusiast - Level 1

Wow Smith up late helping the masses! Kudos for that alone!  I will get my "helper" back and see what we can do and let you know.  Thanks much for your help!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

No problem! 🙂 I'm a night owl. Work during the day, come home, and play video games and post on forums until some odd hour in the morning. I do get plenty of sleep, though!

Let us know how things go once work has been done.