Home network
Raider12QB

The computer that I run my DSL through is on it's last legs.  I was talking to a guy a work and he said that I don't need a computer to set up my wireless network.  Something about just running the phone line through a modem then to a wireless router. 

Does that work?

0 Likes
Re: Home network
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

Been doing that for a number of years now.

Depending on the hardware you have, the modem is set into 'bridge' mode then connected to the WAN port on the router.  You set the router with the PPPoE information (login/password) and it will connect on your behalf.

CMCEQCM1

I have a 4 year old Westell Router. For some unknown reason after resetting it up. The signal strength for our network on our laptops that are thought the house is substantially down from previous years. Strength on all laptops were a full bar strength. Not in different locations or change in equipotent. Verified router with tech support, cannot explain lose of strength meter dropping. Can only get strength meter to be full bars right along side of router. Can any explain why this is happening. My thought is router is working but something has changed that reduces strength the house. Maybe router needs to be replaced????

Any advise appreciated.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Pretty much true. It is best however to simply not just plug in a router and run it. The wireless signal will often be unsecured (some routers today do come with security enabled by default, in which case you can plug and play and not need a computer), and it is best to secure it from a Wired PC. If your computer is on it's last legs and it's deemed as not worth fixing up (aka, really old), maybe borrow a neighbor's laptop or netbook for a little bit to set up your Wireless router and secure it so that your network is at least secure and ready to go for any devices you wish to place on the Wireless, just to be sure.

As suggesed by weedeater, it is recommended to bridge the modem if you are going to set up a router. This will require a PC however, but if you have a functional web browser you can bridge the modem and set up a router. Takes 10 minutes if you're familiar enough with the web interfaces of both devices.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@CMCEQCM wrote:

I have a 4 year old Westell Router. For some unknown reason after resetting it up. The signal strength for our network on our laptops that are thought the house is substantially down from previous years. Strength on all laptops were a full bar strength. Not in different locations or change in equipotent. Verified router with tech support, cannot explain lose of strength meter dropping. Can only get strength meter to be full bars right along side of router. Can any explain why this is happening. My thought is router is working but something has changed that reduces strength the house. Maybe router needs to be replaced????

Any advise appreciated.

May be possible. That, or there is some unknown source of interference degrading the signal as well that coincidentally appeared after a reset. The Verizon routers don't have the ability to adjust Transmit Powers, but anything is possible when age and radio signals are in the mix. You can try a new unit to see if it helps.

0 Likes