Horrible Connection Speeds in Evening
paheavenmom
Enthusiast - Level 2

We pay for the advanced high speed internet service in our area. It is advertised at 1.5 to 3 Mbps. Daytime speeds are reasonable: from 1.5 to 2.75 Mbps.

At NIGHT though, we are getting very POOR performance at .50 Mbps or LESS.

My husband spent an hour with a customer service rep two nights ago and got no satisfaction. Next morning speeds were back to normal. Now our connection is awful again.

If someone cannot get this resolved, we will have to go to a competitor for service. I guess there is just not enough bandwidth in this area to go around. Do I really have to go to Comcast to get decent connection?

0 Likes
Re: Horrible Connection Speeds in Evening
paheavenmom
Enthusiast - Level 2

After ANOTHER hour or more on the phone with "Customer Service", we surrender!!

Gotta go elsewhere if we cannot get the service we pay for OR any help with a resolution.

0 Likes
hbf444
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm experiencing not having DSL connectivity in the evening, approx between 8-10:30 pm in Alexandria, VA.  This started in early March 2013, and has been a constant problem since. The connectivity returns late at night, with no action on my part. My Westell box indicates connectivity by having 4 green lights on. When there's this problem, only 3 lights appear.

Does anyone have any knowledge to contribute about how or when this issue may be fixed?

0 Likes
paheavenmom
Enthusiast - Level 2

We had absolutely ZERO luck talking to Verizon to fix this very same issue. Our problem was from around 6PM to 11PM or later. I don't know if it is throttling or just not enough bandwidth for everyone in the area.

Gave up and got Comcast. Now getting speeds of 15 to 25 Mbps consistently. Bye-bye, Verizon "High Speed" internet!

MarkT4
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think I'm going to have to jumpt to Comcast, too.  Verizon has never been fast enough to watch YouTube half the time.  For a week, my connection has been miserable.  Talking to them is totally useless and a waste of hours of your life.  They always want you to make 50 changes to you computer even though every single device loses connection rather than just one.  The problem is ALWAYS on their end and there's no way to just ask them to do a check.  Instead, they'd rather have some guy in India spend two hours on the phone with you and never get anything fixed.

0 Likes
Ragbagger

I've been having problems with Verizon almost from the start.

First it was the 'System' simply 'disconnecting' for hours to days. {Fun talking to India, isn't . . . Their English may be 'passable' but they have ZERO comprehension !!} It took me HOURS to get them to agree to SEND OUT the local Tech.

Anyhow, the first time they came out they installed a 'Home' filter {on the outside 'box'} so I didn't INDIVIDUAL filters -not anything to do with the problem- just a 'gift'. He then changed-out a 'line connector' in the box. Result - Like turning a switch - PERFECT.

I typically had to go through the 'change-out' process about ANNUALLY. Then every 6-months.

Several months ago I basically lost ALL connection for about a MONTH {+} . . . After a couple of days, and useless calls to CS - I contacted the BILLING Department - now THEY SPEAK ENGLISH and are IN the US !!  Explained the situation and firmly stated there was NO WAY I was going to PAY for a service I wasn't receiving. THAT got some attention !!

After several visits from a 'Tech' - not really any better - (now have 4 - Verizon Modems}. By that time, with some additional observations from a FIOS 'Wire Man' installer {running the 'trunk line'}, I deduced the problem was  'up-the-pole'. NO MATTER what I said . . . the 'tech' REFUSED to go up the pole to even inspect the connection.

FINALLY - they sent out a 'Wire Man' service tech - seems the typical guys that come out are NOT authorized, or trained, to work on the LINES. The 'Wire Guy' checked & REPLACED the 'copper' all the way down to the corner 'node'. NOW I got INTERNET !!

The problems NOW  -for everybody- is actually two-fold; 1) with the push to get everybody on FIOS they have put DSL on the 'WAY Back burner', and 2} same reasoning - there is simply NOT ENOUGH BANDWIDTH. The 'good times' vs. the 'bad times' synch up with the times the volume of users are at WORK vs. GET HOME and go on-line . . . simple.

BUT . . . if you don't support this 'System' -{vs. the 'new program' - FIOS}- it's NEVER going to get better.

Regards, Thanks, and 'Bon Chance!!'

Ron

0 Likes
hugger73hatch
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yep another **bleep** off customer here.  Going to start looking elsewhere too.

0 Likes
hbf444
Enthusiast - Level 1

Solved --- My DSL internet connection problem is solved. For a while, I was not able to connect to the internet in the evening at times during the week. I spoke with a Verizon help-desk person in India, who led me through a test. While my internet access was lost, I reconfigured so that the cord from my Westell box connected directly with the wall socket instead of indirectly. This worked. After 5 minutes, I reverted to the original configuration; and that connection worked now. This all indicated to the Verizon person that the problem was with my DSL filter. It was old, and Verizon sent me a set of 3 DSL filters, one of which now replaces the old filter. That solved it.