How do I upgrade my dsl WITHOUT upgrading to fios
codeflash

I have been trying to upgrade my dsl from a 768k to a 1.1 to 3 mb speed. When I call customer support, they say I am lock out of upgrading my dsl, because I am in a FIOS is in my area. I run a local business that I need phone service that does not go out when there is a power outage. I like my copper, I just wondering how can I upgrade my dsl WITHOUT fios. I live close eough to get 1 mb, because that what I had for a year before I was downgraded to 876k. Also before you ask, I belive it is thier end, as my router is working fine. So how can I upgrade dsl WITHOUT fios?

codeflash

0 Likes
Re: How do I upgrade my dsl WITHOUT upgrading to fios
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
Try doing an upgrade online. It may still offer FiOS to you, but it is worth the shot.
0 Likes
Re: How do I upgrade my dsl WITHOUT upgrading to fios
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Switch to FiOS.  It's way better than DSL.

As for power, if you think you'll need more than the 4-8 hours the built in backup battery provides, get a UPS or use the external battery port on the BBU.  The ONT can be plugged into a generator, if it gets to that.

Know that copper can have powered equipment between the premise and the CO.  If your on such a link and the power fails, you've no control over when the batteries die.

If the CO loose all backup power, both FiOS and copper will fail.  So, with FiOS, you actually have better control over battery run time because you decide how much battery to add at your premise.

Copper is subject to water damage, fiber is not.

Like I said, get FiOS, it's better.

If you're still convinced you want to stay with copper, check with your state's utility commission.  Through them you can find out if Verizon is required to sell DSL upgrades.

Good Luck