Re: How do i convince Verizon to bring either DSL to my area? What can i do?
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

Wow...so much to cover here.  The first issue:  Population in the community.  We have a couple small towns here with populations of around 2000 too.  They most likely will never get Dsl and Verizon won't consider it unless the community can come up with a petition of individuals that would suscribe to having the service.  You need to take into consideration the massive expense of equipment needed to be installed in the office to overlap the Dsl service onto your existing phone line.  Not to mention conditioning the cables going down the road and removing Loads; which way back when were useful in re-amplifying the dialtones.  (Loads will block the Dsl signal)

In most small town like we have here you can basically call it "living in the country"  which brings out the second issue.  Distance...you have to be within 3.5 miles from our office or some of our remote hubs...so distance is very important. When I say remote hubs, some require extra equipment to be wired to make the remote hub act like a central office. (DSLAM)

Next line conditions...They definately matter...If your getting static on the lines it will greatly effect the quality of service you will recieve with upload and download speeds.

Finally FIOS...why not bring it to your area?  This is a new product.  They estimate that it cost the company roughly $800. per house just to run the wire past the home.  This does not include the expense of installation time the installer has at your home which can be anywheres from 2 to 6 hours depending on the situations he runs into with the installation.  So naturally they are going to go where they can get the most Bang for their buck so they can immediately re-coup some of their investment (highly dense popluations).  This re-vamping their network with Fiber is a major undertaking and will take some time to get established.

I hope this info helps

Regards,

Walt

Message Edited by Provider7 on 01-02-2009 09:17 AM
mtpalms
Enthusiast - Level 2

Walt, I appreciate Verizon's reluctance to serve their customers if it is going to cost them an initial investment, in spite of the millions they spend in advertising that say things to the contrary. A petition? Who does one contact to get a petition? Verizon has never told me this was an option, they just put me on a list and tell me they will get back to me when dsl is available in my neighborhood, which will be never according to your 'helpful' information.

Now a reality check for you, Walt:

My parents live on a farm in central Nebraska, seven miles form a small town of 2500. It has one of the last private phone companies left in the nation, and probably serves 3500 customers or less (Cozad Telephone Company, if you're interested in checking my facts). This little private company has managed to not only install fiber optics to every home in town, but to every customer within their boundary, probably a 10 mile radius, maybe a bit more.

Walt, that is customer service. If you go to Verizon's Home page, you will see a big slogan splashed on the screen "INTERNET FOR THE WAY YOU CONNECT" Well no Walt, sorry, that is obviously not the case when a multi billion dollar company cannot provide the same service to all of its customers as a little phone company in central Nebraska does. They may be able to fool themselves by pleading poverty (obviously they can afford a bit of advertising though, even if it's false), but you can't fool your customers once they know the facts.Unfortunately most of the time they are shielded from the truth, because Verizon is their only source for 'facts'. Lucky for you and Verizon, this post will be seen by only a handful of their (frustrated) customers.

Hope this helps Walt. Happy New Year.

PS Here is a link to Cozad Telephone Co

http://www.cozadtel.net/

Obviously they don't have a multi million dollar advertising budget, but they do have what people want: BROADBAND.

Edited to remove the assumption tha "Walt" works for Verizon. My apologies, I don't know if he does or not, but I still dispute his 'facts'

Message Edited by mtpalms on 01-02-2009 08:37 AM
highwaystar50
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been following this thread with much interest as I am in the same boat it seems. I have considered a satellite connection using one of those USB things but I'd still have to deal with Verizon and I just don't feel like contributing to their coffers any more than I have to. Plus I'd have to stop using AOL which can be a chore in itself to do. As I mentioned in my own post, this is more of a philosophical concern for me, e.g., how can a company advertise something and charge for it when they don't have any intent to deliver it? Is it okay if no one finds out about it or complains? Is it okay to ignore those who do find out about it and complain? I reckon they own me at least 50% of what I've been paying them as that's about what my service level has been since I've had DSL.I wonder if I can consider that "loss" tax deductible?

Karl

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

mtpalms,

I am an employee of Verizon.  I am a installer who responded to this post to share what i've seen here at Verizon in our area of Western NY.  If it makes you feel better to climb down my throat; then go ahead and Vent.  I just work here.  When I mentioned the petition, it was suggested to me by an engineer that a community may have more luck by petitioning Verizon to get Dsl installed in their area.  Personally I don't know who or when they decide how it's implemented, I only see the end results when it is.

Now, I wasn't aware I needed a "Reality Check".  Advancements and improvements are happening everyday with companies all over this nation.  Small and Large.  Quite frankly I"m glad to see Verizon making the effort to advance their network.  But again...I can't control who get's it or how it's implemented.  I"m sorry.  But to compare us to Cozad isn't really fair either.  From what little I can find, their footprint basically covers a few towns whereas ours is all over the nation.  To advance our entire national network all at once is a nice thought, it's not feasible. 

May I ask you something?...Who provides your Cable Television and do you subscribe to them?  If not, why?

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3
I just want to add something...I honestly understand your frustration.  How do you think I feel?...I work in these small towns and they give me this truck with "DSL, get it now!" Plastered all over my truck.  Personally, I would wish everyone could get it.  I've even had people pull me over to ask when or if it's going to be implemented.  What I find is most of those asking live too far from the office.  So even if it was in their area it wouldn't reach their houses.
0 Likes
highwaystar50
Enthusiast - Level 2

Provider7 I realize that there isn't much you as one individual can do within a giant company but you can't be the only one getting queried by the general public regarding service or lack there of. Don't you guys have a "what's on your mind" deal at Verizon where employees can anonimously (or not) input concerns to upper management? Fraud may be too harsh a term for what I consider I'm being assaulted with but what do you call it when you are promised something, pay for it and don't get it or only get it a fraction of the time? This is probably as good a reason as it gets for not allowing deregulation and mergers for service providers as I can come up with.

0 Likes
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

Hi all,

Let's remember to keep our posts courteous and on topic, please.  Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

Hi Karl,

There used to be a time where funds seemed limitless with the telco's.  I look at the current environment and i'm suprised that the progress for Fios  is still proceeding.  So before I say anything else, I want you to understand ...anything I say is my own opinion and does not relflect the views of Verizon. I figured I better put in a disclaimer just in case.  : )

Verizon is huge in it's size and all it encompasses.  Sometimes I feel like I work for the Government trying to get something done.  I give alot of credit to my manager too, for helping us guys out.   Were at a place however; where we are making huge investments in upgrading our plant to FioS for the future growth of the nation.  Some could say Right...were doing it for Verizon, but it really is the nation that benefits (competition).  From what I've seen so far... we have tightened the belt a little for future development in copper to expand our fiber base.  I'm not saying were not placing anything new...we are where it's needed...Presently we're maintaining the existing copper plant and keeping it running as best as we can.

Like the lineman who came to your house to fix your Dsl...sometimes there is not alot we can do to keep the cable pairs working great when a whole section of cable may be failing.  Naturally i'm not there to see your trouble history but from what I know, you should always have a connection...24/7.  When you loose your dsl, does the dsl light go to a blinking state ?  If so I would venture to say it's your lines outside.  Another factor that could be effecting you is the distance you are from the office.  The further out you are, the slower the connection.  If you loose your Dsl light again...demand it be dispatched out.

They just started deploying Fiber in the Buffalo roughly one year ago.  It's a slow and tedious process and I give them alot credit...they are doing it right and creating a network to allow for future growth.   The work is extensive.  I've had the oportunity to not only work on it at the customers home, but have had the oportunity to use it.  It is an amazing service from all aspects.  It won't be in my area till 2010.

In response to getting queried by the general public...sure we do...all the time.  It is sometimes dis-heartening when we as employees want to provide good service, then the budget says no.  So we work with what we have and do the best we can to make it functional.

highwaystar50
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Provider7 for your reply. I know it must be hard to be "the face" of Verizon that people see and have to possibly suffer the ire of discontented customers. I agree that my problem is outside my home but since the copper in my town is due for replacement sometime in the distant future, I am going to have to suck it up and cope for the time being,

In case that moderator message was directed at me, I hope that I have been courteous even if I haven't been completely "on topic" for this particular post. I guess I should update the post I started as it has fallen by the wayside.

Karl

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

Hi Karl,

Listen, you pay for a service...you shouldn't have to suck it up.  Call it back in, be curteous to the installer and ask him to make the repair permanant.  There is nothing wrong with requesting to recieve what you pay for and most of the guys will work to make it happen.

Regarding the moderator message, I missed it...What message?  I think I took it off topic after I went to look at some of your past post.  Sorry for swaying off course.

Regards,

Walt

0 Likes