How often Verizon check CO Capacities?
TiggerTina
Enthusiast - Level 3

I call all the time to see if there has been an opening at the Central Office near me for DSL.  DSL is confirmed at my home, but they cannot sell it due to the CO being "at capacity".  The best info I get is to continue to call until they have an opening.  I have been doing that for months, surely pestering the poor customer service operators up to 5 times a month.  

I guess it would be helpful to know how often they check the CO to see if lines are available?  If they are just marking the office as closed, how often to they open it back up or inventory availability?

There is no waiting list so I am just subjected to calling often.....

I just want internet at my house 😞

Re: How often Verizon check CO Capacities?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Call up and ask for them to put a ticket into engineering. The availability database should be updated real time as lines come and go as to the availability of ports and speeds. If the CO is really at capacity and there is still a port or two hanging out and some bandwidth left, engineering should be able to qualify your line for DSL so sales can push an order.

From what I know, an area can be marked as "Out of Capacity" even when there are still a few ports left on a DSLAM that work. I don't believe Verizon runs their DSLAMs with every port filled, as I'm sure they leave extra ports available in case one goes bad and ruins someone's connection (A friend of mine had this happen to him on the remote he's on. A tech had to be dispatched after I got involved to move his pair to another port as the one he was on was dead despite giving a signal, and the remote is so old they most likely don't stock spare parts for it anymore). Now if the DSLAMs are truly at capacity, or I should say regardless of capacity, the CO might be out of bandwidth and Verizon won't hook up any more lines to avoid severely overselling the area.

Re: How often Verizon check CO Capacities?
TiggerTina
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the info!  I will see what they can do!!

0 Likes