How to get High Speed Internet to Rural Areas
JPP5
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was told six years ago that high speed internet was available when I had called Verizon and asked them before I bought my property. When it came tim eto get the service hooked up, I was told it was not yet available. When I continued to inquire, I was told there was not enough homes in my area for them to ru the service the few miles needed to reach our area. Unfortunately my area is zoned as a conservation district and land can not be subdevided nor developed greater than 30% of the existing property. So there is little chance that the number of homes in my area will ever increase.

It's very frustrating as many of the communities around us have been upgraded to FiOS. Many of my neighbors have already signed forms promising to buy their either of their internet service if they were to provide it but even this has not been enough. Does anyone have any suggestions or have advice on how to get them to bring service to a rural area?

Thanks,

John

Re: How to get High Speed Internet to Rural Areas
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

There's not a heck of a lot that can be done short of getting together a fund to pay for the installation of equipment. It might be worth pointing out the obvious to Verizon that there are pole-mounted DSLAMs that can be installed for DSL service. If a bunch of people nearby you want DSL Service, Verizon could simply follow what Frontier does and build out mini DSLAMs to service 16-32 homes. They're not too obtrusive to install, can be powered off of existing copper lines and can be ran off of T1s/T3s/Fiber cabling. If possible, it would be cool to see FiOS show up since the Fiber can technically go for 20 miles from the CO without needing repeating.

0 Likes
notsorural
Enthusiast - Level 1

its 2014 and I still feel the pain of no dsl & no fiber!

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes