How to update firmware with Verizon DSL Westell 7500
cutiepigs

I play a game online called Toontown.  Recently I have been having trouble with the game and an email to tech support states this:  The problem that you experienced may have been due to a dropped Internet connection. If you connect through a  router (a central device that enables two or more computers to share an Internet connection) the firmware on your router may be outdated.

I have been playing this game for over a year and have never experienced a problem, and no other players I have talked to are having anything go wrong, so I have to think it is on my end.  I do not experience a drop in connection but to that I recieved: 

Even when on a high speed connection, you will still sometimes experience "packet loss". A packet is data that is sent between your computer and our website. Toontown is a very "packet sensitive" game and requires a constant connection to the Internet, which can be broken by only a brief lapse. While you may not completely lose your connection to the Internet, Toontown can still be affected.

How do I update the firmware?  Do I have to call Verizon, is it something I do on my own?  Please be as specific as possible because I REALLY don't want to mess up our internet connection.

Thank you!

0 Likes
Re: How to update firmware with Verizon DSL Westell 7500
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
#1 Please post the noise margins. I am not sure where, try System Monitoring -> Advanced Status -> Transciever Stats. #2 In your router at Advanced, there is a link for Firmware Upgrade?
0 Likes
cutiepigs

Not sure where system monitoring is?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok... #1 Check the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and DNS Servers on your computer.

Since most people use Windows, I will assume that...

a) Go to Start, and then to run.

b) type in

cmd and press enter.

d) In the new window, called the command prompt, type in

ipconfig /all

and press enter..

#2 With your web browser, go to the default gateway - and log-in as need be.

#3 Look for System Monitoring.

^^

0 Likes
cutiepigs

under margin I have 24.7 under down stream path and 10.0 under the upstream path...

Is that what you needed?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Please post all of the details from that screen..
0 Likes
cutiepigs

Transceiver Information             Downstream Path              Upstream Path

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)                3360                                       832

Margin (dB)                                     24.7                                        10.0

Line Attenuation (dB)                    39.0                                        21.0

Transmit Power (dBm)                 8.2                                          11.9

ty in advance for any help you can provide

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Margin = Signal to noise margin. 6 is pretty bad possibly unusable at times, 20 is very good. You normally want 12dB or better IIRC from back in my DSL days. The higher the number, the better to a point.

Line Attenuation = Measure the amount the signal has degraded. Below 20dB is excellent, above 50 is poor, fill in the dots for anything in between.

Transmit Power = The higher the number, the more power is required to transmit. This number will vary based on the other numbers.

Also in your router at Advanced, is there a link for Firmware Upgrade?
0 Likes
cutiepigs

So my numbers are ok than?  Does that mean I am not losing packets like toontown claims?

I did find the link for the firmware but when I try and use it, it says it can not connect to the server.  😞

0 Likes
brooklyn93boy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey, I have the same modem/router as you and to update my firmware I simple open my internet browser and in the address bar type in 192.168.1.1 and hit enter and it takes me to my modem/router setup and once your there in the menu click Advanced and you should find update firmware, anymore questions ? Feel free to ask me.

0 Likes