I want to replace my actiontec gt784wn with linksys e1200
eanasco

I want to figure out how to replace my actiontec with another router. Or even just to speed up and extend my wifi range around the house. Any help will do. Step by step instruction is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

0 Likes
Re: I want to replace my actiontec gt784wn with linksys e1200
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you just need to increase the overall range and performance of your wireless network, I would recommend running some Ethernet cabling to a point in your house that has terrible signal, and then connecting your Linksys router up there. When you connect the Linksys, to ensure smooth roaming between the ActionTec and the Linksys, you will want to do things like disable DHCP, UPnP, the Firewall, QoS, etc on the Linksys, and change the IP of the Linksys to one that is in a different subnet (eg: If your ActionTec is 192.168.1.1, set the Linksys to 192.168.2.1). From there, the Ethernet connection from the ActionTec connects to a LAN port on the Linksys.

As far as replacing the ActionTec as a router all together, you will still need that as your modem. What you can do is put the modem into bridge mode, which will then let you connect your Linksys up as the primary router as you normally would for any connection. You will just need to make sure that you either enter in your PPPoE login information when setting up the Linksys, or if you are in a Verizon DHCP area (Your modem would be in Routed Bridge mode), that you wait for your DHCP lease to expire after a few hours.

0 Likes