Re: Incompetence
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're at about 11,200ft as an estimate according to those statistics, with plenty of room to spare for 3+Mbps speeds. See if you can get Verizon to push the line back up, and from there, post up the new statistics you see and if the line feels much better. Unless Verizon had your line set to FastPath in the past, you should have no problem holding it. If the stats hold up, FastPath should certainly be an option.

The only thing that might have caused some problems would be from the fact that you are connected to a Juniper ERX edge router. There are incompatibilities that arise when those edge routers are used with Alcatel Litespan equipment (often found on remote DSLAM equipment Verizon uses). This incompatibility causes speeds to become inconsistent on the download, and this is due to the amount of retransmissions that the TCP protocol must do in order to compensate for the "Artificial" packet loss that it receives. It's a problem that plagues many lines, but there are a few solutions, each of which varies in ease to implement, but all of which will completely confuse phone techs. You aren't suffering from that issue at the moment as provided by the NDT test you've posted, but it might appear again if the speed is bumped. In which case, if it does appear I can direct you to someone who will get that fixed.

As far as old lines are concerned; as long as they are well maintained and are of the twisted variety, those old lines should work a lot better than the new cabling being put up by Verizon, both for distance and speed in regards to stability and performance. The older cabling is often a thicker cable, of 24aWg or sometimes 22aWg for many times the entire run of the cable. I believe it or not also have a DSL connection with Frontier Communications a few miles away from where I have DSL with Verizon. It's located in Frontier's Legacy areas back when they used to be Citizens Communications, and the cabling they use on at least the section of plant I'm on is 24aWg all the way from the remote to my NID. It's close to 30 years old, so it's not too old, but that stuff carries DSL like nothing else. I'm around two miles (10,500) feet of cabling from the remote, however my modem is synced at 3712kbps download, 448kbps upload giving me a speed of 3100kbps download, 360kbps upload on the Frontier line, which is the highest Frontier offers to residents in my area. My line, despite the distice is running clean enough to the point where you could push 5-7Mbps of download onto it with ease without needing to use newer ADSL2+ equipment. The SNR at the 3Mbps rate is about 25dB with no errors, and the transmit power is a low 6.2dBm on the downstream. Upstream is running just as nice with a slightly higher upstream power of 8dBm. So if Frontier would only offer a higher profile besides 3Mbps/384kbps in my area (they have 6Mbps/600kbps for businesses), I could take almost anything.

As for the newer Frontier lines in my area, uh... yeah, those are 26aWg lines that can't carry DSL very nice. They are in good shape but by design, the signal is attenuated much faster the further you go out. Plus the thinner cabling also makes the signal even more prone to noise, so the higher rate of attenuation plus the higher chance of noise gives the techs headaches when they are called out to repair an unstable DSL connection.

0 Likes