Information RE Slow DSL in Allentown PA from Verizon
sams4
Enthusiast - Level 1

For the last 6 months my DSL speed has slowed down in the afternoon and evenings. Morning DL/UL speeds 6.0mbs/0.7mps. Starting around 4pm and through around 2am it goes to 0.3mps/0.6mps as tested at speedtest and verizon.

After hours with online tech support on several different occasions they determined that it was due to high traffic (DUH!!!).  They tried different routers on their end. No change. None of my equipment has changed.

I have been paying for the 7mb service for 2.5 years and this problem has progressively gotten worse over the last 6 months until it'[s almost useless in the afternoon and evening. My Verizon 3G MiFi 2200 hotspot is 4x faster!!!

According to their senior Technical Support manager Raul there is NOTHING they can do about it. Their solution is to change my service to their 3 mb service and not sell the 7 in the area any more. I am in Allentown, PA.

I wonder if they will be reducing anybody elses service and bills and offering anybody else in the Allentown area a refund. I wonder if they have stopped selling the 7mb service.

Re: Information RE Slow DSL in Allentown PA from Verizon
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

In some areas I believe Verizon has been stopping the sellout of speeds higher than 3Mbps. Often the issue seems to be due to a lack of capacity at the CO itself. If not at the CO, at the DSLAM or at the Remote you're coming out of. The edge routers should have plenty of capacity on them, especially if they are a Juniper, so if router jumping does not help, changing the circuit your line runs through or perhaps the switch you go through might also solve the problem.

During the night time hours, visit DSLReports.com and make sure your line can be pinged if you are using a firewall on your modem or router. From there register an account and run their Ping/Line Quality Test. Post up the results you get here. Ensure before and during the test, that no one is transferring data on your DSL line.

sams4
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks. Will do. It's at a second house and I won't be there for another week but, I will run the DSLreport test when I get there. I just wish there was a viable alternative in the area. I asked about switching the switch or circuit and they said they could not (or would not).

By the way, AT&T DSL is so much better... for now. Wait until this area gets built up.

Do you know if Verizon is considering data caps on high speed like other companies?

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Recent news (about a week old) suggests that they are considering data limits, but nothing has been made official. Basically right now it's treding grey water and hoping everything works in favor. As of right now though, everything is still unmetered.

0 Likes