Installing wireless router, router works fine but can't configure the modem
flanbot

I'm configuring a wireless network for my parents, and I can't seem to get it set up right on my parents desktop with Windows XP SP2.  

I bought a Linksys wireless router (WRT54GT) to set up a home network, and set that up quickly. It's not having any problems, but I can't set the modem into bridge mode. I'm connecting to DSL using a Westell Wirespeed modem (C90-36R516-01) that is pretty old, but I don't see why there is a problem. I went to the IP 192.168.1.1 in my browser while connected to only the modem to configure it, but the server always times out. When I plug in the router, it goes easily to the Linksys' configuration panel.

The only thing I can think of it that I configured the router before switching to bridge mode.

I tried getting around this problem by configuring the router to dial Verizon automatically using PPoE, but I don't know if it's actually working correctly, and it still asks me to dial up when I start Firefox. Other computers on the network see the router, but don't connect to the internet.

0 Likes
Re: Installing wireless router, router works fine but can't configure the modem
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
The modem you are talking about is a DSL modem only, you do not have to bridge it. Just plug it in to your router and set up the router to authenticate.
0 Likes
bluknight12
One thing you should do is get rid of that Westell modem from verizon.  Its junk.  I replaced it with a DLink DSL modem and internet is faster.  Not that this suggestion solves your problem.
0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
I've had that modem for 7 years and it's still going strong. It's perfect because it is just a modem so you can use the router of your choice.
0 Likes