Intermittent DSL/phone disconnection
rvoyda

My DSL randomly goes out several times per day.

When I pick up my phone line, there is constant static on it.

I've tried the online troubleshooter. But every time I use it, it goes for about 45 seconds, and then the internet connection dies, and the troubleshooter times out.

From 8 AM to about 10 PM, my internet just randomly disconnects. The DSL light turns red and totally kicks me off the net. When I pick up the landline there is no dial tone. Just totally dead. Then wait about 30 seconds, pick it back up, and the dial tone is there with static.

Then a few minutes after that the DSL comes back on.

This does this anywhere between 6 to 10 times daily, and has gotten beyond frustrating.
It used to be only once in a while, so I tolerated it, but now it's constant.

Strangely enough late at night, I have no problems at all. I've been on from around 11 PM to about 3 AM before with no issues whatsoever.

This seems to me to coincide with the net usage of my neighbors. When people are up and using the net, I get kicked off. When they are all asleep, I have no problems at all.

And I absolutely dread when I see a Verizon truck coming down the street and headed to one of my neighbors. I know, without exception, that they'll mess something up with MY phone line by tweaking one of my neighbor's lines. It happens absolutely every time. And I think that's probably what's happened here. Neighbor XYZ down the street probably had a problem, called service, and they 'fixed' their line, and jacked up mine. Again.

0 Likes
Re: Intermittent DSL/phone disconnection
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi rvoyda,

Just a friendly reminder, this is a forum where users help other users. It looks like your issue may require a Verizon representative to review your account details. Please visit our Support page for a variety of ways to contact Verizon, including “Ask Verizon,” our virtual chat agent, and customer support phone numbers.

0 Likes
Re: Intermittent DSL/phone disconnection
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Static on the line means somewhere between your home and the CO you've got a line problem. Corrosion and shorts are the common faults.

To gather some info, here's where we'll begin. First of all, does the static on your line disappear when the DSL modem is powered off? Second, does the static occur during specific weather patterns or is it occuring purely at random? Lastly, have you ensured all of your devices are properly filtered?

For the filters, if you are using the Microfilters that shipped with the DSL Self-Setup kit, keep in mind that they operate in one direction only. If you install the filter backwards for any reason, the filter won't be as effective in filtering out the DSL signal from the line. This adds attenuation to the line and can also cause static to occur while the device behind the filter is in use. So take note of the label at the bottom or top of the filter as to what is phone, and what is walljack.

If the static remains present even without the DSL running, or if you have no dial tone, you may wish to check the service at your NID with a wired phone to ensure the problem is not inside of your home. Verizon will typically ask you to do this before they dispatch a technician, if your NID has a test jack. Modern NIDs will typically have a customer accessible area that simply needs a flathead screwdriver to access, where a test jack can be found. The test jack can either have something plugged into it, which will lead to your home's wiring, or the test jack while being used will disconnect your home's wiring temporarily.

See this FAQ for more information: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317

But otherwise, call Verizon voice repair and have them fix your line up. Typically, once voice is repaired DSL service will follow.

0 Likes