Intermittent internet connection
oap81

Hi I have been having an issue with my internet connection where several times an hour where the internet on the goes off for a few mintues then it turns back on by itself. I did a power cycle and that did not help. I have a westell 6100.  

0 Likes
Re: Intermittent internet connection
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

When this happens, what are the lights on the modem doing? What do your Transceiver Statistics look like?

http://192.168.1.1/transtat.htm OR http://192.168.1.1/htmlV/transtat.asp will get you the Transceiver Statistics. Use the below login information to log into the modem if prompted, should you have not changed the login info.

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

admin/verizon

admin/verizon1

Take note, if you use a router in between your computer and the Westell modem, you may not be able to access the above pages. You will need to connect directly into the modem, and if the modem is bridged, configure a static IP for your computer. I can explain this in more detail if you run into problems and use a router.

0 Likes
oap81

the ethernet flickers and the dsl light flickers as normal,the power light is solid. and the internet light is off

ransceiver InformationDownstream PathUpstream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)1504448
Margin (dB)16.025.0
Line Attenuation (dB)32.019.0
Transmit Power (dBm)16.711.7

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

With those statistics, that shows you have a line that's running sub-par. With attenuation markers like that, you should be able to shoot for a 5-7Mbps connection without an issue. You're barely even hitting the 1.5Mbps tier.

Do you have static on your phone line by any chance? If you don't have a phone, that's fine, but you will need to work with Verizon to troubleshoot this as a DSL connection that is both dropping out, and needlessly running at a lower speed. Your goal is to get this to at least 3Mbps.

0 Likes
oap81

I dont have a phone so I would not know if there is any static. So i should just call tech support at this point??

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Go ahead and call them in this case. If they turn your speed down, push them to fix it properly.

0 Likes
oap81

thank you for the help

0 Likes