Internet Issues with HP computer
bosonac

I recently purchased a new HP Pavilion desk top.  I can connect to the MSN home page but if I click a link nothing.  I cannot log into verizon.com or any other websites either.  I have contacted Verizon, HP and Microsoft.  All three have said there is nothing wrong with their products, all tests were run and resets were completed.  I re-installed Internet Explorer 9 and nothing.  I even reset the computer back to factory settings and nothing.  When I spoke to HP they asked who my provider was and if I had the 6100F modem, which I do.  I never told them I had a 6100F modem, they replied that the 6100F modem was a problem for other HP users as well and to contact my internet provider and request another modem.  I re-contacted Verizon and they told me I was not eligible for another modem since all of the tests they ran say the one that I currently have is working properly.  Has anyone else run into this problem?  If so what was the resolution?  Any help available would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Bosonac.

0 Likes
Re: Internet Issues with HP computer
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Sorry to hear about your problem with the modem. I have sent you a private message to get more information.

0 Likes
msemler
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same problem with a westell router.  Think I will check with HP.  Good to know I'm not alone!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

We need to see if there is any later version of the firmware for the 6100F. There is apparently a newer version out or an older version that works just fine. I find it strange though on why only HP Computers it seems are having this problem, and why it is only with the 6100F and not with other modems.

Does someone with a new HP Computer around here mind grabbing a copy of Ubuntu Linux and booting the LiveCD on the machine to see if the problem also happens in Linux? I'm also curious if the affected HP Computers use the same NICs or software configurations from the factory. If we can rule this down to a problem with Windows and not with the hardware, that would be a huge start. You should be able to download an Ubuntu Linux 64-bit ISO from any Linux mirror hosting site, burn it to a disk, and boot off the CD (or a USB Drive) without touching your hard disk. Firefox is included, so launch the browser and try it. Ubuntu should have at least the Wired NIC Drivers already loaded by the time you're at the desktop. Wireless NICs tend to be iffy in Linux with a handful of more known cards (NETGEARs) since most of the drivers are community developed or reverse engineered/ndiswrapper-based.

I do find this a very odd issue though. My dinosaur of a Westell 6100 Rev. B (It's really old) works just fine with any system I connect to the network. That might be because I have a router behind the Westell and the Westell is bridged, though. Even then, I've not seen an issue such as this even with 6100F modems and Win7/Vista/XP/UNIX machines.

msemler
Enthusiast - Level 2

I hooked up a wirless lan adapter to the HP PC and I am now able to browse but it disconnects my other PC.   So the problem is the network adapter driver (Realtek GBE) or it is the router.   It is probably the router as it won't let my 2 PCs coexist.

0 Likes
msemler
Enthusiast - Level 2

It was the Realtek network adapter driver..  Found a more recent one on their site and it solved the can ping but no browse issue.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Glad to hear the problem was solved. Drivers installed on pre-built machines always seem to be a tad bit out of date. It's often one of the first things I do when I work on a pre-built machine for someone; pop in the latest drivers.

0 Likes