Is there any way to get the transceiver statistics from the D-Link DSL-2750B router?
Verizon_XL5
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just wondering if there is any way to get the "Transceiver Statistics" from the new D-Link DSL-2750B routers provided by Verizon for the High Speed Internet subscribers, such as the Margin (dB), Line Attenuation (dB), and Transmit Power (dB), as we used to get those from our Westell 327W and 7500 routers?

If not, is there any Windows XP free software or application available that can allow me to get such an information?

By the way, a Verizon technician came to check my DSL connection over the weekend and installed the sprtcmd.exe and sprtscv.exe programs (VERIZONDM) on my PC which I can see currently running on my Task Manager since then... What can I do with them? How do I run any applications using these processes? Do I really need these processes to be running on my PC? Should I uncheck the sprtvmd.exe at the startup and get rid of both of them? Do they help me by any mean to improve my DSL connection? Should I uninstall and remove the Verizon Download Manager?

Your kind attention to any of the above questions and prompt reply will be highly appreciated.

Thank you!!!  

0 Likes
Re: Is there any way to get the transceiver statistics from the D-Link DSL-2750B router?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

He might have installed the Verizon In-Home Agent to the PC. See if that rings a bell. You are free to remove any Verizon software if you do not use it or if it causes problems.

Here's the user manual for Verizon's version of the D-Link DSL-2750B. I'm not seeing where the option is for the Transceiver statistics, but I presume you can find them if you check within the System or Services section of the modem. The key words to look for are Attenuation, SNR, SN Margin, and Margin. If you've got that information, you should have found the Transceiver Statistics.

ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Broadband/dsl2750B/Manual/DSL-2750B_Manual.pdf

0 Likes
Re: Is there any way to get the transceiver statistics from the D-Link DSL-2750B router?
glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

Hey, Smith6612 - nice to see you again.  I have exactly the same issue as the initial poster above, and my read of the DSL-2750B manual did not find any reference to transceiver statistics, down stream margin, attentuation or transmit power.  All of these are important since my speed, pings and down stream margin all got way worse over the last 8 weeks.  Vz sent me a D-Links DSL-2750B to replace my Westell 7500 as a possible fix, but I want to be able to measure all of this correctly after the swap.

I used to get 2.7Mbps download speed, pings of less than 10ms to the CO (per tracert) and 19 ms to nearby test servers, 18 - 20 db down stream margin and attenuation in the low 20s.  Now it's all half as good:  download constantly close to 1.5 Mbps, pings of 20 ms to the CO and 33+ms to nearby test servers, 10 - 12 db down stream margin and attenuation at 31.

Vz network  engineers want me to try a new router, but I don't want to swap if the new one won't measure the transceiver stats.

I'm on the lower upper West side of Manhattan, at Central Park West in the high 60s, zip code 10023.  I was told years ago that I have a short connection to the CO.  Anyone else have similar problems?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Wayjac might have an answer here. I rememeber working with you on DSLReports to get your speed higher, too. That was a little over a year ago 🙂

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27333871-Can-D-Link-DSL-2750B-show-transceiver-statistics-

See if doing what Wayjac mentions shows Transceiver Statistics. He knows many modems inside and out it seems.

0 Likes
glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

To all, including Mr. Smith --

For a few days, I have been using the new D-Link DSL-2750B modem-router that Vz sent me.  It's a model made by D-Link exclusively for Verizon.  I have confirmed it does NOT show

- Margin

- Attenuation

- Transmit Power

- Type of DSL - whether it's ADSL, ADSL2 or ADSL2+.

Other modems made by D-Link (for general sale) show this info.  So the lack of this info must come from a deliberate Verizon directive to D-Link. 

Why is Verizon hiding this info?

In my case, hiding this basic techincal data is hurting Vz, not helping it.  It is slowing the resolution of underlying problems.  I am working directly with an MCO and it is slowing us both down, especially my not being able to report these statistics to him instantly as he moves me to different circuits,  Each time, I have to run a lengthy, external line test, or invite the other Vz tech to return with his blue, plastic measuring device.  So it's costing Verizon additional wages - much more already than whatever the dubious "savings" might be to hide this data.

This is a tiny example of why American consumers and voters do not trust big corporations.  Dealing with them is a bit like dealing with the Chinese government.  Suppress any negative info to protect "harmony".  Wrong and short-sighted.  Yes, this is only a microscopic example of the corporate philosophy, but once we see this philosophy in action, no matter how small the visible result, we sense that the philosophy is pervasive in everything else the corporation does.  Verizon is showing itself not to be trustworthy.

Smith - you are great - seriously.  Where would so many of us be without your help here and on other forums?  Please forward this post along to your favorite Vz folks and ask them to reply here.  Thanks.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Looking to see if I can get someone to look at this. They might be able to help as far as getting an official page. If one exists, I'm sure it's hidden at the moment and needs a particular URL to access. Perhaps for those who have the non-Verizon branded version of this router, you could use the URL to the DSL Statistics page to get there? Might work, or it'll just give a 404 error.

0 Likes
glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

Smith - you have made a brilliant suggestion!!

Smith is suggesting that USERS OF OTHER D-LINK MODEMS go to their modems' embedded web page(s) that show these statistics and post here the URL addresses they see in their browsers for the modem pages that show these transceiver statistics. I ask that all D-Link modem users do so, here, also giving the model of their D-Link browser

How do you go there? Typically, you point your normal browser at 192.168.1.1 (or similar) which is the embedded web server in your modem, log in to your modem with user name and password, and follow the modem's links to its embedded pages that show these statistics. Then, look at your browser address bar, copy the URL address and post it here, together with the actual model of your browser. Maybe the same URL will take me to a similar statistics page on my DSL-2750B even though the modem doesn't give me a link to that page.

Smith - that's Sherlock Smith, yes?  Thanks.