Issue with Westell 7500 not connecting via ethernet ports.
Firemedic261
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi all,

The problem I am having is with the Westell 7500 wireless router/modem.  When you connect to the 7500 via wireless, there is no problems, you can get out on the internet and see the whole network.  But when you plug an ethernet cable in to the router to your computer, I can not get out to the Internet, If I am using a short ethernet cable (10 ft.) I can sometimes see the network, but can not get out on the internet.  If I connect a longer cable, like 75 ft, I can not connect to anything, the computer shows that there is no connection available.  I have tested all cables with a cable tester and connected a netgear router to them to see if I could get a ip address assigned over the cables.  Contacted one of the telephone techs and after over 30 minutes of frustration in trying to get the representative to understand my problem, I hung up.  It is acting as though the router took a voltage spike and all the ethernet ports are fried, but didn't effect the wireless side of the router/modem.  Anyone got any ideas on what the issue is?  If I left anything out please let me know.

Thanks,

Jason

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Issue with Westell 7500 not connecting via ethernet ports.
Firemedic261
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ports were fried.  Finally got a Verizon Rep to replace the router after over an hour and a half on the phone.....new one is in and everything is running as it should.  Why does it take so long to get anything done.....customer service really needs improved.

View solution in original post

Firemedic261
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ports were fried.  Finally got a Verizon Rep to replace the router after over an hour and a half on the phone.....new one is in and everything is running as it should.  Why does it take so long to get anything done.....customer service really needs improved.

mbeach31
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just stumbled on your post and think I have the exact same issue.  I have used the router strictly as wireless since I got it just over a year ago.  I just tried connecting to DirecTv box and another computer via the ethernet ports and have no connection.  Wireless still works fine though.  I just spent over an hour as well for them to tell me I have to buy a new one.  I don't even know if the thing worked to start with since I never used as ethernet connection.  How's that for service.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

When the DirecTV receiver was connected, did the Ethernet light for the port you connected it to light up? That would indicate that the port is at least "functional." From there, you would need to ensure the DirecTV receiver is configured for Automatic (DHCP) Configuration and it is holding an IP address. Failing that, If assigning a Static IP to the receiver via the receiver itself still prevents communication, then there's a good bet the Ethernet ports on the 7500 are not working right.

0 Likes