Laptop won't connect to wireless network
RitaG1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a desktop and a laptop, both of which connect flawlessly to the internet from my home. Or used to. The desktop is fine, but the laptop won't connect even though it is receiving a signal whose strength is rated excellent. Here is some background:

• The laptop connected fine until recently (I don't know exactly when it stopped connecting because I haven't tried to connect in several weeks.)
  • The laptop connects perfectly to other networks when I am away from home.
  • I have tried everything I can think of:

I rebooted the computer

I rebooted the modem
               I looked at the settings with ipconfig, but I am not knowledgeable enough to recognize if there is a problem.
               I re-entered my password and tried several other passwords before reverting to the original.
               I ran Diagnose and Repair. I reset the network adapter.

I checked the network adapter in Device Manager. It seems OK.

Your help will be most appreciated!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Laptop won't connect to wireless network
RitaG1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Problem fixed. I used chat to contact Verizon, and the technical person fixed the problem by changing the network name and security key. Although I would have liked morei nformation about the problem, it's great to have the solution.

View solution in original post

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@RitaG wrote:

I have a desktop and a laptop, both of which connect flawlessly to the internet from my home. Or used to. The desktop is fine, but the laptop won't connect even though it is receiving a signal whose strength is rated excellent. Here is some background:

• The laptop connected fine until recently (I don't know exactly when it stopped connecting because I haven't tried to connect in several weeks.)
  • The laptop connects perfectly to other networks when I am away from home.
  • I have tried everything I can think of:

I rebooted the computer

I rebooted the modem
               I looked at the settings with ipconfig, but I am not knowledgeable enough to recognize if there is a problem.
               I re-entered my password and tried several other passwords before reverting to the original.
               I ran Diagnose and Repair. I reset the network adapter.

I checked the network adapter in Device Manager. It seems OK.

Your help will be most appreciated!

What does "not connected" look like? Does it try to connect and fail? Does it appear connected but you are unable to access the internet? Is there an error?

0 Likes
RitaG1
Enthusiast - Level 2

The laptop used to connect automatically to my home network, but now it tries for a while (a small blue ball turns) and then there is a message:Windows was unable to connect to...  By the way, I can connect to various protected neighborhood networks from the laptop when I'm at home and to open networks when I'm at other locations.

0 Likes
RitaG1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Problem fixed. I used chat to contact Verizon, and the technical person fixed the problem by changing the network name and security key. Although I would have liked morei nformation about the problem, it's great to have the solution.