Large outside Junction/Control box has flashing red light - Is it normal?
teeb1

There is a Verizon outside box that is large with a flashing red light on its side.  It appears to be a junction or control box mounted on the ground.  It has been there for years and I do not remember seeing a flashing red light until now.  Plus, my DSL connection has been dropping recently.  Can a tech rep from Verizon High Speed Internet answer?  Thank you for yur patience.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Large outside Junction/Control box has flashing red light - is it normal?
pjsutton
Contributor - Level 2

These boxes are called Remote Terminals, and yes it is for DSL.  The flashing light probably means that the battery backup has failed, so it shouldn't really affect your DSL unless your power goes out.  And even then, the battery backup is only to power the voice line to make calls.

I would call 1-800-VERIZON and choose the option about "repair."  I've had luck with getting poles replaced/repaired that way.  Say that there's a flashing red light on the remote terminal, give the street address, and also give the central office you're out of (IE, your area code and first 3 digits of your phone number should tell the rep where you are).  Also, stop by it and see if you can find any writing/markings on that, and tell them that too.  Be as specific as possible.  Make sure you get a ticket number from them, and make sure they have a call back number.

There was a tree laying on a wire near me, and I made sure I got a repair ticket; the next day a tech called me to say he was headed out that way and asked specific details about the location, what was wrong, etc.   A few days later the tree was gone.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
pjsutton
Contributor - Level 2

These boxes are called Remote Terminals, and yes it is for DSL.  The flashing light probably means that the battery backup has failed, so it shouldn't really affect your DSL unless your power goes out.  And even then, the battery backup is only to power the voice line to make calls.

I would call 1-800-VERIZON and choose the option about "repair."  I've had luck with getting poles replaced/repaired that way.  Say that there's a flashing red light on the remote terminal, give the street address, and also give the central office you're out of (IE, your area code and first 3 digits of your phone number should tell the rep where you are).  Also, stop by it and see if you can find any writing/markings on that, and tell them that too.  Be as specific as possible.  Make sure you get a ticket number from them, and make sure they have a call back number.

There was a tree laying on a wire near me, and I made sure I got a repair ticket; the next day a tech called me to say he was headed out that way and asked specific details about the location, what was wrong, etc.   A few days later the tree was gone.

0 Likes
teeb1

Thank you PJSutton.  Teeb

0 Likes