Line Profile "low" - What does that mean?
theconeyclarks
Enthusiast - Level 2

Upgraded to HSI Enhanced 7-15 Mbps from HSI 3 Mbps last week. 

Using newly supplied Dlink 2750B that replaced my older ActiontechGT704WG.

Now speed is very very erratic, from 1 Mbps to 2 to 1 to 5 to 3 to 2,  It's all over the place and nowhere near 7-15 Mbps. 

Online agent ran test and said line profile was very low.   I have new outside line from pole to nid 3 years old, new nid, and homerun to modem/router. 

I live a half mile from CO.

What could cause low line profile? 

I can't locate transceiver stats on this modem.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Line Profile "low" - What does that mean?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't believe any of us have managed to get Transceiver statistics from the D-Link modems yet but I'm sure it will be figured out eventually. If I had one I'd take a look at it.

If you have your old ActionTec modem sitting around still, hook it back up and let it sync. You should be able to pull the Transceiver Statistics from it. Should be a simple matter of visiting http://192.168.1.1/ , logging in using one of the default passwords below or one you set, and then clicking on the Status Tab at the top of the page, and if need be DSL Status.

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

Verizon Username and Password

I don't know what the Verizon In-Home Agent means by low Line Profile. It could be possible it's mentioning the sync rate of the line is low for the package or the noise margin is low?

theconeyclarks
Enthusiast - Level 2
Never thought of that, will do and repost after.
Thanks!
0 Likes
theconeyclarks
Enthusiast - Level 2

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Looks like my suspicion may be correct. The line is showing it's provisioned for at least 10Mbps/768kbps (why the upload isn't going to 1Mbps is another question) but for some reason it cannot sync up that high. Distance-wise, attenuation suggests you're roughly a mile of cable length away from the CO which is to be expected even if you are a half a mile away.

If you have access to your NID, see if you can connect your DSL modem up to it and then obtain the same statistics again. See if they're any better outside along with the speed itself. See this FAQ: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317

theconeyclarks
Enthusiast - Level 2
Thanks for the help. I called Verizon today to see when the tech was coming out. They said the ticket was closed because they could see modem synced up. Grrrr!!
I had them test line again they said it showed line was crossed with another pair and would open another ticket. Said crossed pair was causing data slow down.

Will rerun transceiver stats after line repaired Friday.
0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds good. Hope the visit goes smoothly.

0 Likes
theconeyclarks
Enthusiast - Level 2

ok guys,

tech came and cleared line, said it was crossed and shorted.

Saturday internet light on modem/router went out 3 times.

Here are stats directly from NID...

Here are stats from house jack...

there is definately a difference in far end RS and attenuation,  I have a new homerun to the router, but some of the other wiring in the house is older.  I will check all connections and make sure everything is ok.  then retest,

Can anyone decipher the stats?  lots of Far End RS FEC??

Thanks!

0 Likes
theconeyclarks
Enthusiast - Level 2

Also,  do the speedtest.net, and speedtest.org sites reflect actual speed from the house and are they accurate?

Thanks!

0 Likes
theconeyclarks
Enthusiast - Level 2
Still having intermittent slowdowns, any ideas?
0 Likes