Long time DSL connection now slow
Not applicable

I've had Verizon DSL for several years (maybe 7 years?). I've always seen a consistent 1.5MB download speed (down was whatever .3 I guess?). Speedtest.net consistently confirmed this. Again, FOR SEVEN YEARS! This was the speed I was promised when I signed up - I recall reading it in the paper work and being happy I was getting something better than 768!

Lately, this isn't the case. At best, speedtest.net gives me .85/.30 (but usually I'm getting .6 download). The slow-down is pretty noticable in day-to-day access. Verizon.net has some type of speed test I stumbled across - I got in the .3's for both up and down.

I have my original Westell 2200 DSL modem hooked into a standard WRT54G Linksys wireless router. I recall I had to manually switch into the Westell into bridge mode for this setup to work. (bridge-mode wasn't required on my old router for whatever reason, but I switched to the linksys ~2.5 years ago, so it's nothing new).

I took my router out of the loop and hooked my laptop direclt to the DSL modem.  Since I was in bridge mode I configured Windows 7 to connect via PPPoE which worked (surprisingly). However I saw no real speed increase. 

After some fiddling (static IP address and a direct wired connection to a laptop) I dug this out of the modem (sorry for the bad formatting):

Transceiver Revision: 7.1.254 

Vendor ID Code:        4 

Line Mode:               G.DMT-Mode 

Data Path:   Fast 

Transceiver Information

Down Stream Path

Up Stream Path

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)

Margin (db)

Line Attenuation (db)

Transmit Power (db/Hz)

Any suggestion on how to troubleshoot this? I want to have all my ducks in a row before I call Verizon.

What are those speeds in the Trans. Info? Have I been limited to that somehow?

Re: Long time DSL connection now slow
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you try to connect this modem to the NID?

Points to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317

If not, do it and post the new results from the Transceiver Statistics.

Not applicable

OK this is what i got with the modem outside hook directly into the port that is the DSL line:

Transceiver Revision: 7.1.254 

Vendor ID Code:        4 

Line Mode:               G.DMT-Mode 

Data Path:               Fast 

Transceiver Information

Down Stream Path     Up Stream Path

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)         1184                          448

Margin (db)                              20.5                           12.0

Line Attenuation (db)             42.0                           18.5

Transmit Power (db/Hz)        -3.0                            3.0

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your statistics are better, mainly the margins though the margin will more than likely sag down to it's original margins of 16dB while connected in your home. On sync inside of your home, you should see the margins reach the same levels.

It might be worthwhile to see if you can get a Verizon tech to detail the copper network to you. Have him see if he knows what the wire gauge is, and if the copper could use some repairs to improve the DSL a bit.