Lose DSL in every thunderstorm
ronchi1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I lose my DSL connection during every thunderstorm (big or small) that comes about here in New York City, and this summer that's happened a lot. Does anyone else have that problem, and does anyone have a solution?

Thanks.

Ron

0 Likes
Re: Lose DSL in every thunderstorm
wnetmw1

Yes, happens to me every thunderstorm too.  I think it induces noise on the line which knocks the modem out of sync and it then needs to reacquire.  I don't think there is anything that can be done.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is usually assocated with degraded copper or trunks at the outside plant. Sometimes inside wiring if it's in really rough shape can cause this, especially with unterminated runs or incorrect grounds at the NID but it's less likely due to how short of runs the home wiring can have. For this case, I'd say get a Verizon Tech out to see if they can locate a potential problem with your copper loop. It's probably the best thing to do in this case. Make sure you insist that the problem is not due to your speed or the modem or the computer, they'll try to blame that first in many cases.

By the way if you have Voice service and see noise on that during thunderstorms, call voice repair instead of DSL repair. They will be the better choice since Verizon has to maintain quality service on the voice end of things, in addition to repair them when trouble is reported. DSL issues will typically be fixed when Voice service is fixed.

ronchi1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply. It's good to know that I'm not the only one with this problem. It's not so great to know that isn't much that can be done. 🙂

Ron

0 Likes
ronchi1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for that great info. Unf ortunately, I live in an apartment and my landlord isn't great at allowing repairmen to come in unless he's the one having the problem. Maybe I can convince him that I really need this done. Thanks again.

Ron

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Well, Verizon has right of way up to the NID so they shouldn't have too much of a problem with getting in and repairing the problem as your landlord should be aware of that. Beyond the NID and into the unit is where your landlord has a say, and as long as Verizon isn't touching that wiring I presume the landlord should be fine wirth it (especially if their DSL drops, too). Just make sure things are arranged. If Verizon can't come on-site, have them at least send a tech out to the pole where Verizon will be able to check for copper issues with a meter either way.

ronchi1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you again for that great information. I'll definitely get the Verizon service on the job.

Ron

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds good. Let us know how things turn out too!

0 Likes