Losing Connection
wwest20
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am once again having difficulties staying connected to the internet.  Everything is correct, the signal drops repeatedly coming to the house on a daily basis.  Everything is set up properly, I ran a direct line from the modem to the interface on the side of the house so there are no jacks.  A tech came out last year and said there was a problem he'd have to fix on the pole.  It worked great for about a month, then started having issues again.  This has been going on for almost 3 years now.  I have to reboot the modem between 1 and 20 times a day to stay connected.  After a while it gets stupid and i just go do something else.  They sent a newer modem and it doesn't stay logged in either.  I've been dealing with modems and comms for over 20 years, i know the issue is not on my side.

Re: Losing Connection
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Contact Verizon and have them send a tech out to test the DSL line.

0 Likes
wwest20
Enthusiast - Level 2

Will I need to be present?  I work 12-15 hours a day, 7 days a week. 

0 Likes
wwest20
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just spent an hour on the phone with rep.  They say theres no problem and the line and data rates are good, but the modem wouldn't stay connected to internet the whole time i was on the phone.  Not sure how you can check something that you can't connect with.  They are sending me another modem and wanted to charge me for it.  Oh yeah, my new bill came today and the rates are going up again.  Sweet!!

0 Likes
Victor30Stone
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the same problem. I am on DSL. For a year my connection has been dropping repeatedly, some days better, some worse. They had tech visits and say everything is OK with the DSL line. They sent a new router. Now, my connection is so poor my it will not support my desktop, I must use my tablet. Unofficially the tech told me they want everyone on FIOS, but I have a "guaranteed for life" DSL price. I am just waiting until my service stops altogether. 

0 Likes
MomOfTwoBits
Enthusiast - Level 1

My comments won't give you any guidance. It's simply to let you know you're definitely not alone.

My connection drops every day between 1330 and 1400. I turn off my modem, unplug it from the back, wait 10 seconds (sometimes more), then plug it back in, turn it on & wait for it to load.

I've had technicians out no fewer than 6 times in the last two weeks - one came three times in one day.

They've created a dedicated DSL line, they've tested the connection inside the residence, they established that there were too many bridges on the cables outside the residence (to the main hub), I was told all the bridges were removed (last Friday) but the tech who came out this morning (and failed to talk with me until AFTER he turned off my service & worked on the line) told me there was only one bridge remaining, which he allegedly took off.

This past Sunday, when my service was down at 1630, I got an international call center and the rep told me that I'm some ridiculous distance away from the hub...the tech working on the line today confirmed I'm on the outskirts of the system and if it continues to happen, said that he expects that I'll just flip over to TWC because Verizon can't offer me FiOS (yet) and that's the wave of the future.

I've paid too much money to Verizon for too many years and I can't jeopardize losing my job for inconsistent connectivity (as I work from home 4 days a week). WTG Verizon for consistently shoddy service and worse customer service!

wwest20
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm only asking for the service I pay for to work.  Maybe I said it before, but for the last couple of years, it's been intermittent at best.  I only plan to be in this area a few more months and don't want to lock into a year or two year contract that I have to pay a big  fee to close when I move.  I've paid over $1700 in 3 years basically to send orders for work in weekly, and for the past 10 months video chat with my fiancee over slow, grainy, choppy... and again, intermittent service.  When you spend 30 min rebooting your modem repeatedly so you can cconnect to video chat, you're not in the best of moods to woo the one you love....right?  Now we end up using our cell phones to video chat because AT&T can at least suipport OOVOO. 😞

0 Likes
wwest20
Enthusiast - Level 2

And thank you for your input... Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

DSL is based on distance, so the farther you are from the Central Office the slower your DSL is going to be. The maximum distance is 18,000 ft from the C.O.The line that you use for DSL has to have a microfilter on every phone in the house and the alarm system if you have one or a whole home splitter must be installed at the Network Interface Device with a dedicated jack to the DSL modem. Once the modem is in synch the downsteam and upsteam noise margins need to be above 10 db or the modem could lose synch knocking out your internet connection. Finally since the phone uses a copper pair to get to your house the line must have load coils removed and be free from any metallic troubles such as short circuits, grounds or crossed battery, so as you can see there are a lot of things that can knock out your DSL line.

0 Likes
wwest20
Enthusiast - Level 2

thank you for stregthening my case.  I have no phone (or even phone acct), no spliter, no wall jack, nothing but a modem.  I ran a direct line from the modem to the interface on the side of the house.  I know my wire is new and has no defect, which puts the problem between the interface on the side of the house and the central office. 

0 Likes