Re: Losing DSL conection regularly.
catlady4114
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks.  I'll check the connections and look up re-sync.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
A re-sync is simply a restart of the DSL connection, aka reboot the modem. It's a term I regularly use instead of reboot the modem 🙂
0 Likes
catlady4114
Enthusiast - Level 3

I unplugged everything except my dishwasher and stove.  No speed increase.  I looked through other threads and haven't seen this problem resolved by anyone.  Truthfully, I'm puzzled as to why the implied culprit is my home wiring.  I would think in this day and age, device manufacturers would be able to make their devices compatible with standard household appliances.  The fact that it worked reasonably well until FIOS was available in my area leads me to believe it's a plot to make DSL users switch to FIOS.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

UPDATE

I discovered that my dear spouse had not unplugged the old router and modem when I asked him to unplug everything in his office.  (If you want if done right, do it yourself.)   I unplugged everything and I am now getting acceptable DSL speed.   Even with the slow speeds, the new modem didn't disconnect constantly so maybe I'm back in business. 

0 Likes
catlady4114
Enthusiast - Level 3

AAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!

I was disconnected within moments of updating my last post and had to reboot the modem.  I have huge image and video files that have to be uploaded and downloaded all day and Verizon just ain't cuttin' it no mo.

0 Likes
catlady4114
Enthusiast - Level 3

....and it happened again as soon as I posted.  When I re set the modem both times, I noticed  the DSL light was on but the Internet light was not.  The wifi button was blinking the second time but I don't remember if it blinked the first time.  Any clues?   Or is it as I presumed before, a plot to make people switch to FIOS!

0 Likes
catlady4114
Enthusiast - Level 3

I stayed connected for almost 2 hours so that's a big improvement but not what I'm paying for.  A Verizon guy came to check the problem and said data packets are being dropped and we should switch back to the slower DSL service.  However, I had the same problem of slow and/or dropped service with the slower plan which is why I switched.  Is there anything I can do to counteract the dropped packets this guy mentioned?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
It depends on where the packets are being dropped. If they are being dropped due to the physical DSL circuit, it would involve either improving line conditions so that noise doesn't cause the dropped packets, or dropping the speed to a lower package to make the effects of noise less of an issue, so to speak. While the stats you have being plugged into the NID were decent considering the distance, it still may be an issue due to the way the SNR will generally drop a little bit over time.

Anyways, make sure the old modem is not connected to the line; you cannot have two DSL modems connected at the same time over the same circuit as it will tend to cause some issues, especially if another modem is trying to sync up. Second of all, you could call up Verizon or try the Verizon Direct forum over at www.dslreports.com to see if you can get your DSL line switched over to ADSL2/ADSL2+ to try and improve the conditions of it, if you don't wish to drop your speed down. Lastly, if you cannot get ADSL2+ added to the line or you don't want to bother with that, you could see if Verizon could send a technician out to improve line conditions.
catlady4114
Enthusiast - Level 3

A second tech guy came to figure out the problem.  After much testing and puzzlement, he tried a new modem and that fixed it.  Turns out the modems from Verizon weren't so grand.  I'm still having a bit of trouble but not bad as before.  I've been uploading about a gig of photos for the past 4.5 hours.  My upload speed ranges from 60-320 kbps.  The rate was much higher 4 hours ago.  3 files out of the 190 uploaded so far have failed.  That happens when the connection goes on the blink.  I'm definitely switching to another service soon.

0 Likes