Losing Internet Connection on DSL
ScottCA
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi,

In the last week I have been losing internet access about every 12 hours. The "Internet" light on my modem, which is usually on, is out when this condition occurs. It tends to happen overnight and during the day when I am not home. Powering the modem off and on cures the problem temporarily.

Thanks for your help,

Scott

0 Likes
Re: Losing Internet Connection on DSL
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It sounds like for whatever reason your connection might be losing physical sync and as a result, the modem is not coming fully online again upon getting a connection. Which modem do you have so we can help you troubleshoot this issue?

0 Likes
ScottCA
Enthusiast - Level 3

Modem: Westell A90-750015-07, Rev W

After reboot the line speed is normal (both up and down) until the internet drops off. This has been gettng more frequent in the last few days.

Thanks for the help,

Scott

0 Likes
TheRoscoe

Hello I have been losing my internet connection for months with my Versalink 7500 Gateway router and i recieved no qualifying help.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

To all of you who need need help, who posted so far.

#1 Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Remove that line. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

#2 Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

For your modem, this means.

Visit http://192.168.1.1/ for me and do the following:

1: If you see a Blue and White Westell page, mouse over Troubleshooting, go to DSL, and choose Transceiver Statistics. Copy/Paste the information on that page.

2: Go to System Monitoring > Advanced Monitors > Transceiver Statistics. Copy/Paste the information on that page.

3: Try visiting http://192.168.1.1/transtat.htm which is a direct link to the Stats on older modems.

If you need a Username and Password, try the following:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

admin/Serial Number.

By Serial Number, I don't mean type in the words Serial Number. I mean find and type in the serial number found on the bottom of this router.

0 Likes
TheRoscoe
Transceiver Statistics
Transceiver RevisionA2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code4D54
Line ModeADSL_2plus
Data PathFAST

Transceiver InformationDown Stream PathUp Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)9406979
Margin (dB)6.39.9
Line Attenuation (dB)39.519.4
Transmit Power (dBm)20.812.4
0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@TheRoscoe wrote:
Transceiver Statistics
Transceiver RevisionA2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code4D54
Line ModeADSL_2plus
Data PathFAST

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)9406979
Margin (dB)6.39.9
Line Attenuation (dB)39.519.4
Transmit Power (dBm)20.812.4

You're most definitely dropping from a noise issue. Your line's kind of long for 10Mbps service. Let's see if we can manage to clean it up any. If not, down to 7.1Mbps/768bkps I'm afraid.

Locate your NID. The NID would be your demarcation point between your home's copper and Verizon's copper plant, and is often located near your Electrical Service. Sometimes it's on an extension pole if you have a large property. Inside of most modern NIDs you will find test jacks which you can plug the DSL modem into. Please do so and give us the new Transceiver Statistics.

If you need some more information on the NID, use this FAQ: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317

From there we'll see what we can do.

0 Likes
RKasp
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

I thought that I could write it here rather than start a new topic, as my problem is the same. I have high speed internet. From time to time, I cannot explain why, the DSL light on the modem starts blinking and the Internet connection is lost. It can happen anytime. Sometimes plugging and unplugging the line cord several times helps, but not always. Switching the modem/router off and back on usually does nothing. Even as I am writing this, it happened again. 

But I have noticed that often, when it happens, you can pick up the phone (press the TALK key so that you hear the dial tone) and the connection is restored (I have just done it - and here's my connection again!). However, when I hang up, the Internet connection goes away too (or after some time, or it keeps working for hours - nobody knows why. Now it seems to work, I hope I will manage to post this before it goes away again!).  I have acquired the statistics for my modem, as described here, please find them below. What could you say?  I hear some static in the line, but I don't know if that's the reason, and anyway, what can be the relationship between static in my line and picking up the phone??? I am very puzzled. The phone is plugged through a fliter, naturally. And I have checked the phone wire in my apartment and even changed the wall phone socket, and made sure the wires are properly and fast attached, so I seriously doubt that it can be the cause.

Thank you,

Roman

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt
Data PathINTERLEAVED

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)1184448
Margin (dB)7.46.0
Line Attenuation (dB)63.531.5
Transmit Power (dBm)16.311.9
0 Likes
RKasp
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just noticed that the Margin value in the Transceiver Statistics (when I access this page at different times) ranges from 6.9 to 11.9. As I understand, this means that the noise level in the line is rather high. And as the attenuation value is very high, it seems to me that this can really be the source of problems (the signal is weak). Is it possible to do anything here?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If there is no way to get access to your NID in your apartment you're best getting a Verizon tech out to see if they can do anything to improve the line. The static issue may be what is our deterministic problem here, so it is worthwhile to give voice repair a call (not DSL Repair/Troubleshooting) and have them come out to repair the static. Don't mention DSL what so ever, let them run their tests, and then come out to repair it when they spot the problem.

0 Likes