Losing connection every day around 9AM
odddon
Enthusiast - Level 2

For the last 5 weeks, right around 9AM every morning, our dsl goes out. It comes back a minute or 2 later, but at a much lower speed. 5 or 10 minutes later, it repeats the off and on, with a small gain in speed. 5 or 10 more, the same thing again with a small gain. Sometimes it happens another time. By around 9:45AM it stays on for good (until the next morning), but we almost always have to reboot the modem to get our top speed back, and it always comes back. We've even connected to the NID at 8:30AM and watched the same thing happen at the same times. What could be causing this?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Losing connection every day around 9AM
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would have to say so, if you would like to keep the speed you have. I think I might have helped you with this last summer over at DSLReports since your username looks familiar, and if that was the case I know we were taking a risk of line stability back then. It turns out that right now you're simply facing a case of line deteroration or changes in how the equipment is behaving on Verizon's end or even your end. If it started happening a few months ago, that is around the time of Verizon implementing an Optimization System which automatically sets sync speeds at a certain rate based on line conditions. You don't seem to be victim of that since your rates are not jiving with what it normally sets lines to, but more or less something occurring probably upstream the line killing your line around 9AM in the morning. Could be anything without having the proper tools to measure the conditions of the line as it happens. Heck, around here where some of the copper frys due to T1 lines running on them, those T1s tend to get noisy as well if the cabling they're on isn't in too good of shape.

What may help with stability is to set your line to something such as 2640/640 or 2880/640. It probably isn't something you might want to do, but if you are still having issues even with a lower speed, it would be highly suggestive of noise occurring at 9AM (it does happen more than you think) somewhere on the copper trunk.

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The issue could be due to something firing up nearby that is causing noise on your line. It could also be temperature changes, but that would result in problems occurring even during the evening hours in many cases. If you have phone service with Verizon, do you by any chance hear static on the line while the modem is synced up, or does the modem simply drop the connection without any indication of a problem voice-wise? Your modem's Transceiver Statistics may be helpful as well.

odddon
Enthusiast - Level 2

We have a separate line from the NID just for the DSL, we don't get static on the phone line, and nothing, at least in our house, fires up around 9AM.

Normal is
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)3360/736

Margin (dB)16.2/9.0

Line Attenuation (dB)52.7/31.5

Transmit Power (dBm)18.7/11.9

These are today's numbers. Around 9AM it shuts down-
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)0/4202.4

Margin (dB)NOT AVAILABLE/NOT AVAILABLE

Line Attenuation (dB)NOT AVAILABLE/NOT AVAILABLE

Transmit Power (dBm)NOT AVAILABLE/NOT AVAILABLE

Then it resets itself-
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)352/672

Margin (dB)26.1/9.0

Line Attenuation (dB)48.3/31.5

Transmit Power (dBm)14.8/11.9

It stops again, then it resets itself-
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)1376/704

Margin (dB)11.4/11.0

Line Attenuation (dB)50.8/31.5

Transmit Power (dBm)17.7/11.9

It stops again, then it resets itself-
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)2176/736

Margin (dB)9.3/9.0

Line Attenuation (dB)52.0/31.5

Transmit Power (dBm)18.4/11.9

Sometimes it resets itself another time. Once it quits resetting on its own, I power the modem off and on, and I get back to my regular stats. Only once has it reset itself back to our "normal" numbers on its own. Could it be trying to "optimize" me on a daily basis? It always winds back up at 3360/736, which it held without fail from last October until June, when the resets started.

Now that I know what it's going to do, and when, I suppose I could just deal with it. I don't want to have them drop me back down to 1.0-1.5 just to "solve" this issue.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would have to say so, if you would like to keep the speed you have. I think I might have helped you with this last summer over at DSLReports since your username looks familiar, and if that was the case I know we were taking a risk of line stability back then. It turns out that right now you're simply facing a case of line deteroration or changes in how the equipment is behaving on Verizon's end or even your end. If it started happening a few months ago, that is around the time of Verizon implementing an Optimization System which automatically sets sync speeds at a certain rate based on line conditions. You don't seem to be victim of that since your rates are not jiving with what it normally sets lines to, but more or less something occurring probably upstream the line killing your line around 9AM in the morning. Could be anything without having the proper tools to measure the conditions of the line as it happens. Heck, around here where some of the copper frys due to T1 lines running on them, those T1s tend to get noisy as well if the cabling they're on isn't in too good of shape.

What may help with stability is to set your line to something such as 2640/640 or 2880/640. It probably isn't something you might want to do, but if you are still having issues even with a lower speed, it would be highly suggestive of noise occurring at 9AM (it does happen more than you think) somewhere on the copper trunk.

odddon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yep, that was me. I went through ex. appeals to get where I am now, so I'll just deal with the morning hiccup, rather than risk being set lower. Thanks again.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

No problem 🙂

0 Likes
Laurag3

We also lose connection but ours is every night at 7:50pm. This has been happenning for months and it stays out for 10-15 minutes. Very frustrating.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you can start another thread on this forum for us, we can see what might be causing it if anything stands out.

0 Likes