MTU settings in my router
humanjoystick

I am having problems trying to find out how to fix my MTU settings in my router. I cannot even find the MTU settings on my routers page. How do I find this so that I can fix it manually in order to have enough to get online through my xbox 360 please.

0 Likes
Re: MTU settings in my router
TonyaD_VZ
Contributor - Level 3
humanjoystick,

Once you log into your router 

1. Go to my network
  2.  Click on network settings on the left hand side
  3. Click on Broadband Coax
  4. You should get Broadband Coax properties
  5. Click on settings
  6. There you can change the MTU.

Please let us know if you need additional information.

Thanks,

Tonya D.

0 Likes
evanlars

on my router page when I go to 'my network' there is no link on the left side for 'settings'. I am having a similar problem, I'm not able to connect to xbox live, I get an error message saying it needs an mtu of 1364 or higher. But when i called verizon tech support they said my router(westell 327W) has an mtu of 1492.

0 Likes
humanjoystick

my router is the Actiontec GT704GW-B (REV-B) from the help that I was given from verizon through my computer they went through the WAN IP settings and my MTU is already at 1500 and the network would say that I need port 3074 open. that is not on my router at all. Even with my firewall on. I cannot even connect through the ethernet cord straight to the modem. once I fix one thing it goes back to MTU minimum of 1364 but that is already set. I've spoken with xbox live and they couldn't fix it, and verizon support couldn't get it either. I do not expect to have to pay extra for professional help when I should not even be having this problem you know? what is my next step???

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

There shouldn't need be a need to make any changes in your home network to correct this problem. We had worked with Xbox to identify and resolve the conenction problem. You shouldn't be having troubles now. If so, please send me a private message.

0 Likes
Re: MAT settings in my router
WillYates

I have a Verizon DSL with a Westell 327W router/modem.

Recently my xbox 360 has not been able to hook up citing an insufficient MTU setting that needs to be 1394.

Is there a setting I can change at  http://192.168.1.1/  that will allow this to work?

I have had this service and router/modem for years, have routers/modems improved?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: MAT settings in my router
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Modems and routers have improved over the years. The MTU settings for the Xbox's network port should be defaulting to 1500, which is also what the Westell 327w defaults to. PPPoE-based DSL locks your MTU at 1492 due to protocol overhead. It may be possible the Xbox MTU issues are popping up again. Try power cycling your modem a few times to see if another IP address can be pulled that allows things to work.

To be honest as well, I would try to stick with the 327w if you can. They seem to be a bit more solid overall in how they operate, however a newer modem such as the Westell 7500 will give you better wireless range, security, and the DSL hardware installed within it should be a bit better. Routing should also be a bit faster too due to a faster processor and more RAM in the 7500. So for now, run that 327w until it dies I'd say.

0 Likes
webdevii1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Keep in mind when asking about Router settings, BE SURE TO SPECIFY IF YOU ARE TIED TO THE ONT VIA ETHERNET OR MoCA as alot of users choose to use their own routers and therefore go OnT to Ethernet for the Web and CoAX to the Verizon Westell or what ever that other ugly blig black monster they use is,  stocky cheapy for TV & Phone.  

I am using the Netgear A6300 N1750 Works well with FiOS I have found leaving the MTU at its Default setings of 1500 works fine.

If in doubt do not experiment with these high end routers. 

Regards

Dev

0 Likes
Re: ... settings in my router - Either Coax WAN or Ethernet WAN, Not Both
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@webdevii wrote:

... BE SURE TO SPECIFY IF YOU ARE TIED TO THE ONT VIA ETHERNET OR MoCA as alot of users choose to use their own routers and therefore go OnT to Ethernet for the Web and CoAX to the Verizon Westell or what ever that other ugly blig black monster they use is,  stocky cheapy for TV & Phone ...

Perhaps this is merely a terminology issue, but it's no longer possible to have both an Ethernet WAN connection and a coax WAN connection simultaneously.  Nowadays it's one or the other.

I believe that some early FiOS installs did indeed allow such connections, but that's no longer the case.

0 Likes
Solarsails
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, there isn't too much wrong with experimenting, say within reason.  Its what got us here from the stone age.... I keep notepad notes of all my settings, for things like this.  Then if I go tweaking I always make notes about what I've changed and when.  Key is not to change too much all at one time and TAKE NOTES!  Do research first, if in doubt.  And if you think it may brick it, you could very well prove yourself right.

0 Likes