Re: MYSTERY MODEM issues!
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

I would clear it to be on the safe side. Then close and reboot the browser.

0 Likes
awhellno
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the tip.....

Regardless, to Verizon... my internet connection is still randomly dropping about once a day, sometimes more lately. Why can no one from Verizon figure out what's going on? This has been going on for three years. The only reason I'm still with Verizon is that my bill stays the same every month, unlike Concast, according to my neighbors anyway. Still. What kind of copany allows a customer- a long time customer, who always pays on time- to have this service, seriously? I can't even believe I have to be on here asking for help, when they should be reaching out to help me. Ridiculous.

0 Likes
awhellno
Enthusiast - Level 2

If I do a factory reset on the modem, what are the consequences? I've tried every combination of ADMIN/PASSWORD that I can think of or that I've seen other people post about trying. Nothing works to get in. Once I'm logged in, what can I do to get this modem to possibly work?

Or for those who just replaced this modem, what brand/model do you recommend?

0 Likes
awhellno
Enthusiast - Level 2

UGH! I chatted with Verizon online last week and they told me they'd send me a new modem, a different model and brand. I open the box and it's the same &$#(@*&^$ modem as the last 3 I've had, and they've all sucked! 

I can't even believe I am still a customer.

0 Likes
awhellno
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can say one thing about Verizon's customer service- assuredly, they are consistent.

Does anyone happen to know if the router could cause issues such as these- when all of my devices are failing to connect to the wifi, they get stuck at the "authenticating/obtaining IP address" part of the process? Should I attempt my connection with a new router/modem combo that I would purchase elsewhere?

I have no filters, other phones, fax machines, etc. in the house. I have the DLINK modem connected to a wall jack, all on its lonesome.

Maybe someone knowledgable in the forums can help me better than Verizon.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Okay, so since you have a D-Link, getting the line stats out of that right now is unknown. Until I can get my hands on one to search for hidden pages or an SSH/Telnet interface that can pull the stats, I guess we'll never know.

The next time you speak with Verizon please ask them to tell you the Noise Margin or SNR of the line. They can also check the capacity on your downstream and upstream. Chances are good that if your SNR Is somewhere below 10dB and your capacity is 85% and higher on either direction your line is not doing so good.

At this point, I really think you need a tech roll to come out, and make sure the line is totally clear. The aim for the role is to not replace the modem or drop the speed, but to improve it all.

As for the "Obtaining IP Address..." issue. That could be the router or perhaps the wireless link to blame. Sometimes it's just Windows being slow to get the IP and check for Internet access, and then refresh the GUI.

Alternatively, if you just want answers at this point which I suspect you do, make an account at DSLReports and open a case with a rep at the Verizon Direct forum linked below: 

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect

The reps on the forum are well respected in getting problems like these resolved. See if one of them can give you the line Transceiver Statistics so that you can share with us. I would like to see them.

0 Likes
awhellno
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sadly I've had people come out twice now... Both times, they tested the line and found nothing wrong. Even when the line went down at home, I called the tech and he ran some remote tests, and they all come out fine. No one can find anything wrong, even when my devices aren't connecting. 

Are the things you mentioned things that I can check at home? If so, I just need to be guided through it, or pointed in the website of "How To Fix Your Own Internet For Dummies." I sort of thought (hoped) that "knowing how" to do it would be, um, Verizon's job, since that's why I pay them? Thus, I've never taken the time to learn how to get readings, fix things, whatever else I need to do. 

I'll try posting at the link you provided. I wish I knew how to get all of the info that everyone is saying I need to post that would help out 😞 

I have to take an exam tonight from home, and needless today, I'll be immensely displeased if the wifi goes out in the middle and I'm somehow penalized for that happening.

0 Likes
awhellno
Enthusiast - Level 2

!!!!

I ran the Speed Test on the website you recommended.

I got an F on the Bufferbloat. 

This is all very.... very new to me, so I don't know what it really means, but that can't be good. Could that right there be the reason for the internet dropping out like it is? I'm reading now on more information as to what that means 🙂 

0 Likes