My DSL is so SLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
noggab

Hi, I got my new high-speed DSL 2 months ago for my new house.

At first I noticed fios is available in my area, and that was what I wanted.

However, when I called verizon wireless he/she told me your high-speed internet is just fast as FIOS

and I listened.

And now I have 2.21mbps. I have to wait for like 5min to see a video on youtube.

Last month I called verizon wireless if my device had some kind of trouble and you guys told me it works fine.

I thought this was HIGH-SPEED INTERNET.

0 Likes
Re: My DSL is so SLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

At 2.21Mbps (assuming this is consistent) any video quality below 720p should play fine with only initial buffering (1-3 seconds). You can get by viewing some 720p videos on YouTube as well assuming the video isn't too busy throughout.

To clarify, are you calling Verizon Wireless up for support with Internet? Verizon Wireless as in these guys? http://www.verizonwireless.com/ . Or, are you calling up Verizon HSI Support (DSL) as in these guys? http://www.verizon.com/ . The two companies serve different functions despite being under the same corporate umbrella. Both sell Internet and phone service, but once does so in a completely wireless sense (as in, no cables even run to your home to connect up to the modem, besides power).

Also, the slowest package on FiOS is faster than the fastest DSL package you can even buy from Verizon. 15Mbps/5Mbps delivered over Fiber versus an Interleaved 15Mbps/1Mbps (if you can even get this) connection will win any day of the week.

0 Likes
noggab

Thank you for the reply..

I will check which company I got from.

Also, umm if i want to get fios do I need to upgrade or do I need to cancel my DSL first and then get FIOS?

And ,, so that he/she lied to me about high- speed DSL..-_-

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

DSL and FiOS are provided by the same company: Verizon.  This company provides services that use a wire or fiber to a fixed location.  The primary services are phone, TV and broadband internet. 

This is not to be confused with Verizon Wireless, which is the company that provides wireless service for cell phones and other mobile devices.

If FiOS is available where you live and you want to upgrade, Verizon will be happy to do that for you with one phone call.  This is the Verizon web site, so just visit the "contact us" link at the bottom of these web pages.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have DSL as sold through Verizon, then you simply call Verizon and request FiOS. They will disconnect the DSL and install FiOS on the same day. They will even take your landline, if you have one running over copper and move it onto the Fiber unless there is a specific reason as to why not.

If you get your DSL through a reseller, that line will remain active when FiOS is installed, and Verizon will not touch that. It will be up to you to cancel that once FiOS is installed.

As for Verizon Wireless, they don't touch Verizon (Wireline) accounts, except if you are requesting a port from Verizon to Verizon Wireless for a telephone number. That will be up to you to disconnect or to do whatever you want with.

0 Likes