My Verizon DSL is to slow and way over priced. Time for a change!
strcat
Enthusiast - Level 1

Comcast wants Seven Thousand Dollars to run a line 300 Feet over the 400 Foot alounce, so thats out.

My DSL line is long over 3 miles, over old noisey lines.  I got it when it was 19.99 a month and that seemed

bearly wirth the price for a 0.7 mb/s line.  I have had water and and other things degrade my like twice,

after a few years now I am paying 44.00 $ per month more then twice what the line is wort. 

so I think I need to find a 4G option.  Since I dont think Fios will ever be run down the road here.

0 Likes
Re: My Verizon DSL is to slow and way over priced. Time for a change!
Uriel2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I feel your pain!  I had to listen to customers from other towns boasting about their FIOS service, but when I called to inquire and they asked me what town I lived in, the guy actually laughed.  I knew that was not a good sign.  My DSL line used to be fast, fast enough to scare off a Charter representative, in fact - literally.  No more.  Too many people online now apparently for the technology.  There are times when I just give up and shut down my connection because the wait for something to upload is interminable.  Best of luck in finding a reasonably-priced truly fast connection option.

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

How heavy of an internet user are you?

I have a friend in the same position, just a few towns away from FiOS coverage. You could get away with a 4G solution, however data bandwidth is extremely expensive for 4G. Depending on how much data you use sometimes it pays off to keep the slower connection with unlimitied usage.

For mobile, I personally use Freedompop, but they're coverage isn't the best in the world. Verizon Wireless from what I hear has some excelent coverage. I'd be curious, maybe they can give you a discount if you sign up with their 4G Service to compensate for the poor DSL quallity?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I wouldn't look towards 4G or LTE unless you can find an unmetered/unlimited plan. Otherwise it'll get very expensive. With more bandwidth == more bandwidth usage. That 0.7Mbps DSL line will get you more data per month per dollar, although at a slower rate.

For getting Comcast to extend the plant to you, check with your town for a copy of the local Franchise agreement. There may be language in there that can force Comcast to connect you at a reduced charge. $7,000 isn't unreanable for what Comcast needs to do - a plant extension + Amp and Tap installation/adjustments + grounding and all permits, so it may wind up being a long term investment for you to consider.

If Plant extension isn't a thing you're willing to bite even for long term, if you have property line of sight that is closer to Comcast's "Free drop" limits, consider using Point to Point Wireless. Ubiquiti sells gear under the AirMax branding that is awesome for point to point wireless. You could install a cable connection at a weatherproof spot with power, and use Wireless between that spot and your home. Or, you could trench FIber if you wanted to go that route.

If you must stick with a Wireless solution to the problem, try to locate a Wireless ISP in your area. Many of them are fairly uncommon, and far and few between. Those that exist often provide decent service levels comparable to the DSL but at better speeds.

0 Likes