My router won't issue an ip address to my wireless network...
Scrappycat
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have Netgear wireless adapter installed on my desktop computer and it says everything is working fine and it's receiving an excellent signal from the wireless router(actiontec GT704WGB), but it doesn't show an ip address and only brings up "page cannot display" on the internet. Where it's supposed to say connected, it has 4 dashes(lines).  On the about page where the ip address goes it says 0.0.0.0.  I've used this before at a different house on another desktop and it worked perfectly set up the same way.  I've tried calling verizon and they didn't help at all.  They want me to hook up the computer to the router to get any further help from them or pay for more help, which I'd rather not have to do..  At this time my desktop is not near the router and the router cannot be moved because it's plugged into the only phone jack in the house and it's already on a 20ft line from the jack and won't reach into 2 rooms away.  I would prefer not to have to unhook and haul the whole computer into the other room just to get this fixed.  That would be my last resort 🙂  I have checked to see if the computer is sending and receiving and they were both at 4, so that looks good.  I have not hit the reset button on the router because I have a wireless laptop that I'm using and didn't want to it to mess that up(not sure if it would), but I did turn the router box off and then back on again.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions I could try before packing up and moving everything to the router.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: My router won't issue an ip address to my wireless network...
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds like a possible Crypto issue to me. I would make sure the security key for the Wireless has been entered correctly. If you're using WEP, try using lowercase letters instead of uppercase letters. Sometimes uppercase letters can be mistaken for numbers due to them being Hex instead of lowercase.

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

While you have your desktop computer that has this Netgear wireless adapter installed, do you have any other computers in your house?

If so, connect one of them to the router by wire and log-in to the modem combo

If you have another computer but you can't connect it by wire as long as you have Internet Access with it (by wireless), log-in to the modem combo.

If you need any help, please post.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds like a possible Crypto issue to me. I would make sure the security key for the Wireless has been entered correctly. If you're using WEP, try using lowercase letters instead of uppercase letters. Sometimes uppercase letters can be mistaken for numbers due to them being Hex instead of lowercase.

Scrappycat
Enthusiast - Level 1

Sorry I forgot to come back and post this was solved 🙂  The B in the Wep key totally looked like an 8 until I shined a flashlight on it - lol!

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
That kind of stuff happens to the best of us! Glad to hear you figured it out.
0 Likes