NEED HELP CONNECTING LAPTOP WIRELESSLY
dmm0816

I'm pretty fustrated at this point because I've been tryin to get my laptop to connect wirelessly since i've had verizon.  i've had it now for about 5 months and it seems like the **bleep** known as tech support don't know anything.  CAN ANYBODY help me.  I have a desktop comp that is connected to my router via ethernet.  my laptop is picking up and even connecting to my wireless connection but I CAN NOT browse the internet at all on laptop.  I'm not sure what to do because the laptop is saying wireless connection 3...is now connected.  any help would be greatly appreciated because it dosen't seem like i'm gonna get it from the tech support **bleep**!

0 Likes
Re: NEED HELP CONNECTING LAPTOP WIRELESSLY
brauh
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here;s what I would try, given your multiple attempts to connect.  I would disconnect the desktop computer and use that ethernet cable to connect your laptop.  See if the laptop then connects to the internet.  If so, review the settings for that connection and copy those settings over to your wireless connection settings.

If you post more details, I suspect you can get more helpful posts.  Information such as operating system can help others give you some step by step hints.  I use Windows and my first thought was that maybe your work groups and other settings weren't fully setup. 

Hope this helps.

Bill

dmm0816

Sorry about that, I'm using windows xp, the modem is a westell 6100, and my wireless router is a netgear wgr614v6.  Whenever I go anywhere besides my house and connect wirelessly it works.  I can connect and browse the internet but when i get back home it connects but i'm not able to browse the internet.  I was talking tech support earlier and go figure we got disconnected.  i'm starting to think switching to verizon internet was a big mistake and now i'm just throwing away money every month.  I'm getting ready to try what you suggested as well.  thanks

0 Likes
labtop

fix labtop

0 Likes
RetiredDBA
Contributor - Level 2

I'm guessing that the problem is that your wireless router doesn't know how to get to the internet via the 6100.  It's going to involve putting one of the routers into bridge mode.  Hopefully, somebody else can help you with that.  Unfortunately, the techs aren't set up to help with a two router configuration.

So how come everybody else doesn't have the same problem you're having? 

VZ advertises that new DSL customers get a wireless DSL router from VZ.  As far as I know, the Westell 6100 is not a wireless router.  But the 6100G is a wireless router.  the Westell 7500 (which I have) is also a wireless router, but it has four ethernet ports. 

You might want to call VZ and ask them to replace the 6100 they sent you with a 6100G,  and help you install it correctly for use with wireless computers and devices.  They know how to do this.  Once you're done with that, you can sell or return your extra wireless router. 

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 See the other poster's idea.

#2 But if you want to keep your existing modem and RJ-45 WAN port router, follow the info at

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

#3 If you have any questions about the FAQ, please ask. When asking, please tell if you are using the White and Blue OR the Red and Black Firmware.

0 Likes
Leda317

This is the 3rd time I am having serious issues with Verizon and the internet DSL connections.  It is going on 3 weeks now that I am unable to access the internet through my laptop.  I am seriously considering canceling my contract with Verizon.  Your service reps are sweet but not successfully getting me solidly connected.  I believe I am entitled to a huge reduction in my rate because your service to me has not been met.

Please advise how to access the wireless connection.  I am using a WESTELL VersaLink Model 327W.

Sincerely,
{edited for privacy}

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Leda317 wrote:

This is the 3rd time I am having serious issues with Verizon and the internet DSL connections.  It is going on 3 weeks now that I am unable to access the internet through my laptop.  I am seriously considering canceling my contract with Verizon.  Your service reps are sweet but not successfully getting me solidly connected.  I believe I am entitled to a huge reduction in my rate because your service to me has not been met.

Please advise how to access the wireless connection.  I am using a WESTELL VersaLink Model 327W.

Sincerely,
{edited for privacy}

What is the problem with the connection? Does the Ethernet connection work as it should or does that fail? I'm running on the assumption that you are having problems with the Wireless connection.

0 Likes