Need HELP Connecting new Laptop to a wired modem
Buckshot002
Enthusiast - Level 3

Purchased a new HP Pavillion laptop with both ethernet and wireless capabilities-Win 7. Currently have only an old Westell E90-610015-06 modem.  Has one wired port to attach a pc.  Was/am using an old IBM wired Thinkpads using XP. Work fine, but slow.

Decided to come into the modern world.  New laptop connects to the wired lan, can ping the ethernet card, the modem and yahoo.com. When entering most web addresses. get no display of the web page back to the display.  Took PC to another Verizon acct and get same failure on a different Westell model of modem/router.   

Laptop works fine at Staples and a friends house using cable network PTD. Can access all web sites. 

Have spent at least 25 hrs online with various Verizon of India support levels, trying all settings and tests on the HP and Westell.

They blame the Laptop, which I have reloaded twice to factory settings.  They Refuse to send a current modem to eliminate that possibility.    Spoke with yet another new PC purchaser, he spent 2.5 hrs on the phone getting his to work. So not unique problems???

Any help or direction I can use on my next 'trip' to India would be greatly appreciated!      

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: RE: Need HELP Connecting new Laptop to a wired modem
Buckshot002
Enthusiast - Level 3

New Westell 6100 arrived next day as promised.  Modern revision!

As a precaution,  since we had played with and checked every setting we could think of,  I decided to reload the laptop back to factory settings, and set back up again to ensure we were back to stock settings where it had worked at other sites.

After the reload,  I checked to see if the laptop acted the same before swapping out the modem,(for the 4th time)  and it did!  Didn't Work. Got the LAN connected msg, but would not pass internet data in both directions.

I made sure I followed the new modem setup instructions word for word. 

Disconnecting old modem and installed the new one.  Except,  I DID NOT use the new ethernet cable from the modem to the laptop nor did I replace the phone line (rj11 ends) from the phone jack.  Since I was sure both were good as they worked on the OLD IBM laptop.

Modem powered up and after a bit, got the correct indicator lites per instructions.  At the point the instructions said open the browser and the Verizon Activation screen would come up,  it didn't, instead got a 404 error!  After closing and opening IE a few times with the same 404 error,  I decided to try entering Verizon.com and low and behold, the activation screen came up and was sucessfully completed.  

After completion, It still didn't work.  I clicked around the network settings here and there for a bit, did a POR to the laptop, .......them NOTICED the Internet lite had turned red on the modem.   When it didn't go green after a bit....I powered off the modem,  waited about 30 seconds, powered back up and MY GOD....IT WORKS!   

Loaded Google Chrome so I have another browser to compare with if future problems,  and will probably add FireFox to the mix.  Went out to EBAY, AOL, GOOGLE NEWs sites,  got info back sucessfully......   Connected the printer and Win7 went out and brought back the drivers.  Left the in-laws to familiarize themselves with Win 7 and ensure any other sites the use work.

Will head back later to install Office and Virus protection and and MSN updates

If it wasn't the modem, getting a new one forced a reactivation thru Verizon setup and settings being reset, that allowed the new HP Laptop to be recognized and work???.

Special thanks to Smith6612 for working me through various attempts to repair and helping me keep my sanity.

Verizon phone helpdesk needs figure out a way so that each time you call on the same problem, you are not starting back at square 1 with level 1 support.  After a given time or # of calls, there should be auto escalation to the next level of support.  After all, this process stared Aug 4th.   If I hadn't been able to see this laptop work at 2 other non Verizon locations, Level 1 would have had me returning this laptop to the MFG 4 times!!!!!

Thanks again.

View solution in original post

Re: Need HELP Connecting new Laptop to a wired modem
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

We can take a look at this for you. If your still having trouble with this and would like help, please send me a private message.

0 Likes
Re: Need HELP Connecting new Laptop to a wired modem
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

When you ping www.yahoo.com , what is the IP address returned back by the ping command? If you're able to ping that and the IP returns back as a Yahoo-owned IP, connectivity should be working. Here's the output of an nslookup command, for reference on what the IP addresses may show up as. Be aware that I do not use Verizon's DNS servers.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\>nslookup www.yahoo.com
Server:  resolver1.opendns.com
Address:  208.67.222.222

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    any-fp3-real.wa1.b.yahoo.com
Addresses:  67.195.160.76
Aliases:  www.yahoo.com
          fp3.wg1.b.yahoo.com
          any-fp3-lfb.wa1.b.yahoo.com

C:\Users\>

0 Likes
Buckshot002
Enthusiast - Level 3

You had...

Server:  resolver1.opendns.com
Address:  208.67.222.222

Name:    any-fp3-real.wa1.b.yahoo.com
Addresses:  67.195.160.76
Aliases:  www.yahoo.com
          fp3.wg1.b.yahoo.com
          any-fp3-lfb.wa1.b.yahoo.com

I got

Server:  dslrouter

address:  192.168.1.1

Name:    www.yahoo.com.westell.com
Addresses:  63.251.179.13

No aliases or other info as you had above.

When I  enter ping yahoo.com,  it pings 67.195.160.76

and comesback with 4 replys from 67.195.160.76

Don't know what this means......do you?   Am sitting in front of it as I write...

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What I find interesting is the IP addresses being returned. The two IPs you received according to ARIN (the regional authority who hands out IP addresses to those who buy them, including Yahoo and also maintains a public database of who owns what IP) and a traceroute do not belong to Yahoo what so ever. They are not even going to the Yahoo Network and are instead heading off to Level3 to a server Co-location provider in Washington DC, and the other IP is peering with Internap to some datacenter near Denver, Colorodo. Visiting the two IPs you posted give a "404 Not Found" page.

What happens when you visit http://seansite.dyndns.org/ ? What IP address do you get back when you perform an nslookup on it? Do not append www. to the URL, it won't work. I own that address as well as the IP address tied to that address. I also own 4 other IP addresses and a handful of IPv6 addresses pointed at my web server. If even THAT IP doesn't come back or the website fails to load (you should see a page with a cloud background including a link to a blog called "The Gamer's Hideout"), I would be very suspicious of the DNS servers the PC or the modem is using, or what the PC has installed on it.

Buckshot002
Enthusiast - Level 3

When I go to IE  and enter seansite.dyndns.org.     the wheel/clock just keep on spinning. get nothing back

Display where any data sould be is white and blank

when I ping seansite.dyndns.org   it pings 69.175.6.67

nslookup Seansite.dyndns.org

server dslrouter

address 192.168.1.1

non auth

seansite.dyndns.org

Under Network adapters

RAlink rt539 802.11 b/g/n wifi adapter

Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller   (devic type: Network Adapter,  Mfg: Realtek,   Location PCI bus 2, device 0, function 0)

Statu is "this device is working properly)

for the Realtek

revision Date

3/4/2011

7.422.304.2011      (believe this is the current one when check at the PTE location that this Laptop works at.)

Under Advance Tab........for the ones that have options

ARP Offliad   -                      enabled

IPv4 Checksum Offload -  Rx & Tx enabled

Large send offload v2 (IPv4) - enabled

Network Adress   has the Not Preset click and the value is blank

NS Offload  -   enabled

Priority & Lan ---Priority & VLAN Enabled

Receiv Buffers   -  512

Receive side scaling  -  Enabled

Speed & Deplex  - Auto Negotiation 

This HP Laptop is new out of the box!  Nothing is loaded on it SW wise that did not come with it!  I did not enable the Norton trial that came with it.  One other thing I tried on the Verizon router at my house was  to temporarily DISABLE  the firewall, thinking something might be being blocked but it had no effect and I set it back.   I did not try the wireless anywhere, since the 'home' location with the Westell 6100 is only a wired one port modem and where it should work. I did not want to 'muddy the waters' even further.

I know that you are running me thru ALL the things commonly screwed up on the PC, but since this is a known good working laptop on other ISP's other then Verizon, Westell and whatever security functions they use are 'hosed'.

I lean heavily towards the modem being the problem, or a setting within that shows one way and is reacting another.

Buckshot002
Enthusiast - Level 3

New Westell 6100 arrived next day as promised.  Modern revision!

As a precaution,  since we had played with and checked every setting we could think of,  I decided to reload the laptop back to factory settings, and set back up again to ensure we were back to stock settings where it had worked at other sites.

After the reload,  I checked to see if the laptop acted the same before swapping out the modem,(for the 4th time)  and it did!  Didn't Work. Got the LAN connected msg, but would not pass internet data in both directions.

I made sure I followed the new modem setup instructions word for word. 

Disconnecting old modem and installed the new one.  Except,  I DID NOT use the new ethernet cable from the modem to the laptop nor did I replace the phone line (rj11 ends) from the phone jack.  Since I was sure both were good as they worked on the OLD IBM laptop.

Modem powered up and after a bit, got the correct indicator lites per instructions.  At the point the instructions said open the browser and the Verizon Activation screen would come up,  it didn't, instead got a 404 error!  After closing and opening IE a few times with the same 404 error,  I decided to try entering Verizon.com and low and behold, the activation screen came up and was sucessfully completed.  

After completion, It still didn't work.  I clicked around the network settings here and there for a bit, did a POR to the laptop, .......them NOTICED the Internet lite had turned red on the modem.   When it didn't go green after a bit....I powered off the modem,  waited about 30 seconds, powered back up and MY GOD....IT WORKS!   

Loaded Google Chrome so I have another browser to compare with if future problems,  and will probably add FireFox to the mix.  Went out to EBAY, AOL, GOOGLE NEWs sites,  got info back sucessfully......   Connected the printer and Win7 went out and brought back the drivers.  Left the in-laws to familiarize themselves with Win 7 and ensure any other sites the use work.

Will head back later to install Office and Virus protection and and MSN updates

If it wasn't the modem, getting a new one forced a reactivation thru Verizon setup and settings being reset, that allowed the new HP Laptop to be recognized and work???.

Special thanks to Smith6612 for working me through various attempts to repair and helping me keep my sanity.

Verizon phone helpdesk needs figure out a way so that each time you call on the same problem, you are not starting back at square 1 with level 1 support.  After a given time or # of calls, there should be auto escalation to the next level of support.  After all, this process stared Aug 4th.   If I hadn't been able to see this laptop work at 2 other non Verizon locations, Level 1 would have had me returning this laptop to the MFG 4 times!!!!!

Thanks again.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Glad to hear all is solved 🙂

0 Likes