Re: Need help with Verizon DSL & Windows XP
chuye
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also was getting Limited Connection like a month ago. I had to go to Control Panel Network and Internet Connections Network Connections create new connections. That helped until I turned the PC off and had limited connection. I realized that one of my routers was causing something that would lose the connection. I am lucky that I have like 2 routers so I changed the one I had in the closet with the one was was causing interference and now it works. I have my 6100 modem connected to a Trendnet wi-fi with router which was not the problem but the other router the ethernet cable went into. So maybe making the create new connections might work.

quilt191

@Smith6612 wrote:

So if DHCP is still failing, I'm curious. If you set a Static IP, does it work? You can try the following settings:

IP address: 192.168.1.200

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

DNS Server: You can use 192.168.1.1, but you can throw 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 into there.

See if you can get connected with a Static IP, or at least see if you can ping out to something like one or two of the IPs I mentioned in the "DNS Server" section once you've configured a Static IP.

Interestingly enough, it did not work, but at least the Limited Connectivity Icon dissapeared from the task bar and a few packets were sent back to "somewhere", as even pinging anything still did not get any data back and I was not able to even again get to the router itself.

So puzzling!

0 Likes
quilt191

@Smith6612 wrote:

So if DHCP is still failing, I'm curious. If you set a Static IP, does it work? You can try the following settings:

IP address: 192.168.1.200

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

DNS Server: You can use 192.168.1.1, but you can throw 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 into there.

See if you can get connected with a Static IP, or at least see if you can ping out to something like one or two of the IPs I mentioned in the "DNS Server" section once you've configured a Static IP.

<

Thanks for the suggestion but it did not work, but at least the Limited Connectivity Icon dissapeared from the task bar and a few packets were sent back to "somewhere", as even pinging anything still did not get any data back and I was not able to even again get to the router itself.

So puzzling!

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@quilt191 wrote:

... if I pull the RJ-45 cable and plug it into my own laptop, the Internet works without any problems.  So the cable is not an issue ...

I still cannot get away from the hardware side of the problem.  You've tried a new card, you've "jiggled" the cables, etc.  Have you tried another PCI slot? I assume "Device Manager" shows "operating properly" for the card, but just in case.

Grabbing for straws, but "grabbing" nonetheless.

0 Likes
quilt191

I dont mind you asking about those, but yes, I did try another PCI slot, the cable is just fine (as if I plug it into my laptop, all works),   Device Manager has the driver working.  I tried different speeds and duplex modesm for the card.  Etc.. etc..

Stumped!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have a Linux LiveCD/LiveDVD handy? If not, you can grab one via Download and make one from sites like Ubuntu.com or FedoraProject.org. Try booting the Windows XP machine from a Linux disk, and use the live desktop you boot into by default to see if the Internet works fine from within Linux on the same desktop. That should prove the hardware as working, and the fault to actually be with Windows XP.

You do not need to install Linux to load to a Linux desktop. It can work entirely off the CD assuming the machine has enough RAM. 1GB should do, and Linux should have support for the most common network adapters. Firefox is included with most distributions and should be easy to find. If you've never touched Linux before, don't worry about the network adapter if it doesn't work, not all do out of the box. Just reboot back into Windows and do what you need to do.

The network status on Linux is often found on the top menu bar near the system clock. It should show up as arrows or as a computer screen depending on what type of Desktop package the distro uses. Most use GNOME.