Need to boost wireless access
dstewart

Plan I have is "UP TO 3M".  Modem/Router is VersaLink, model 327W.  Want to boost wireless without degrading the speed.  Any suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: Need to boost wireless access
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes
mechanics600
Contributor - Level 2

You could try attaching an external antenna to your board and an external USB antenna to your laptop.

motorcyclerick

Please explain to me what external antenna to get for the westell 7500 model, how much it cost, where to get it, and how to connect it. I live in an RV park that supplies free wifi using the westell 7500 model. Recently, another RV has parked between me and the source, and I am trying to bosst both signal and reception to my laptop.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

To attach an external antenna to the Westell 7500 would require modifying the unit which will void warranty of the device. It has internal antennas only. You can get an external high gain wireless card for the laptop but that will only do so much, and access points can be hung off of the Westell 7500 and located somewhere to help improve service in dead spots. It's honestly up to the park to beef up their Wi-Fi service for the campers if this is their service by putting up outdoor high-gain WISP-grade antennas and APs that are capable of serving up the park with a solid signal.

I'd point out a really nice antenna/radio combination to use that really works well in RV parks with lots of metal but I'm having some issues finding it. Either way though, I'd say the best choice would be to ask the RV Park to beef up their Wi-Fi. If they look at the right equipment it should be fairly inexpensive.

It may also be a consideration to see if you can get your own service too from the park. If they allow you to order Telephone service from Verizon, see if you can also get DSL put on that line. It's not free but it is an option and a good choice if available.

0 Likes