Neither DSL nor phone work -- poor service
olegdulin1
Enthusiast - Level 2

We are trying to see if maybe, just maybe, Verizon is better than Comcast.

We've had Comcast Internet and Vonage for a few years and the biggest problem with them is that when the service goes out it takes them 3 days to come and repair. By switching to verizon we hope that we could get better service from them.

Not so.

The technician showed, did a shoddy job connecting, let the outside Verizon box open with wires hanging out. I closed the box myself. Since then there's been static on the phone line and no reliable DSL connection. When DSL is up and working the speed is fine, but then it blows out about an hour into. Called up Verizon and they won't come out until Tuesday morning! Sunday+Monday+Tuesday, against much like Comcast, 3 days with no service.

I am frustrated as hell. I am glad we are on the 30-day trial and can cancel.

Re: Neither DSL nor phone work -- poor service
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What you should do in the time being while you're waiting for them to dispatch a tech, is to go out to the NID (The Verizon Box you pointed out with the wiring hanging out of it) with a corded telephone and a DSL modem and verify that Static does not exist there. Before doing this, switch off your DSL modem in the home. The NID has a test jack which will disconnect your home's wiring to rule out at least the wiring between your home and some wiring in the NID itself.

If the line is clear outside, try taking the DSL modem out with you. Keep the corded phone with a DSL filter connected, and using a splitter, connect the DSL modem to the NID's test jack as well and then power up the modem. If Static starts up when the DSL modem is connecting, you may have what is called a High Resistance Open on the line (on Verizon's end) and a tech is going to be needed to be rolled.

If no static exists even when the DSL is up and running at the NID, the problem is with the internal wiring from the NID to your devices. Verify that all devices on your line are behind DSL filters, including any alarm systems and verify that your old VoIP phone service is not connected to the Verizon service in any way. Also verify that the filters are connected correctly and not in reverse.

0 Likes
olegdulin1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried that. Our NID does not have a test jack, but I am willing to look again.

All phones, all devices except for DSL have a filter attached.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The test jack should be located inside of the Customer Access portion of the NID. There should be no need to open up the Telco access portion of it. The test jacks are often covered up by plastic doors, and lifting open the door will either reveal an empty jack or it will reveal a telephone cable plugged into it. Depending on the NID, removing the telephone cable or lifting the plastic door will disconnect your inside wiring, and allow you to pretty much plug directly into Verizon's copper network.

0 Likes
olegdulin1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, I think I figured it out.

The tech that connected us on Friday didn't close the NID at all. I realized it was wide open when I walked by this morning.

In any case, I connected my corded phone to the NID and there is just as much static and low-level hum as inside the house.

What does that mean ? Their underground line is bad ? Is it repairable ?

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Whenever static and humming is the case, it is typically always repairable. Since the problem is present at the NID, it's Verizon's job to fix it. Get a tech dispatched again and ensure the line is free of static and hum before he leaves at the NID. If it's clear at the NID, and if the DSL is running better, the problem should be corrected.

When you call Verizon Voice Repair, call them from a cell phone or a neighbor's phone line and have them perform an MLT on your line. Such a test will be capable of picking up where the problem is, and if it comes back with anything failing, will result in an immediate trouble ticket. Nice tip for you when calling repair to get done with the phone as quickly as possible. Once the voice side of the service is corrected, DSL should follow along.

0 Likes