New wireless router, trouble connecting
ranck
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a Westell 6100 modem and it has been working fine for years with my Linksys wireless router.  The router died a few days ago and I purchased a new Asus RT-N16 wireless router.  When I tried to set up the new router I forgot my PPPoE password (I've since remembered it) and then I read on the Verizon web site that I should change the DSL to bridge mode instead.  I tried that, but it did not work, so I hit the reset button on the DSL modem.  Now connected directly to the DSL modem it wants me to go through a registartion process!  That seems totally wrong.  I just want to reset the 6100 back to PPPoE mode and then I'll give the new router the right password.

So, anyone know what I need to do?  Or will I need to call Verizon?

Also, I have now gotten conflicting information from the Verizon web site.  One of the FAQs says "You must use PPPoE in your area," but I also find information saying to switch to bridge mode.   So am I supposed to change the DSL modem to bridge mode or not?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New wireless router, trouble connecting
ranck
Enthusiast - Level 1

I found some information in another thread which helped.  It finally sunk in to my thick skull that PPPoE needed to be set up in the wireless with bridge mode set in the DSL modem. 

After reading this: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

I did a hard reset on the 6100 (held reset button for 30+ seconds) and set the correct username/password in the wireless router.   Then the wireless got a connection and seems to be working fine.  I'll have a chance to play with this some more over the weekend to test link speeds, etc.

View solution in original post

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Switch to bridge mode if you can set up the PPPoE settings in your 3rd party router, otherwise leave that setup in your DSL modem.

As for the registration bit, it sounds like you may have reset the Walled Garden page when you reset your modem. If you go to 192.168.1.1/verizon/redirect do you get a disable button?

ranck
Enthusiast - Level 1

I found some information in another thread which helped.  It finally sunk in to my thick skull that PPPoE needed to be set up in the wireless with bridge mode set in the DSL modem. 

After reading this: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

I did a hard reset on the 6100 (held reset button for 30+ seconds) and set the correct username/password in the wireless router.   Then the wireless got a connection and seems to be working fine.  I'll have a chance to play with this some more over the weekend to test link speeds, etc.