No Internet access after blackout since July 1, 2012
Evgenia

After blackout on July 1, 2012 I don't have Internet access at home. How can I fix this?

0 Likes
Re: No Internet access after blackout since July 1, 2012
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

Just a friendly reminder, this is a forum where users help other users. It looks like your issue may require a Verizon representative to review your account details. Please contact our customer service team via live chat or email at: http://www22.verizon.com/content/contactus/

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Do you have dialtone still?

Does your modem have a Power light, and is it RED or Green.

Does your modem have a DSL light, and is it flashing or is it solid green, or is it off

Does your modem have a WAN or an Internet light, and is it flashing green or is it amber or is it red, or is it off?

0 Likes
Evgenia

Power light is green, DSL light is green (I have dialtone and called my phone from cell and back, it's working), Ethernet light is green, Internet light is RED. Everything is working except for the Internet. I've tried different modem, all stays the same...

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

With Verizon, you can't try different modems, and that is probably your problem. 

What verizon does when you get a green internet light, is they bind the internet connection to that devices hardware address.  So if you plug in a different modem, it will have a different hardware address, and it will not get connected.

So you have to find the original device that was last green and working, plug that in, release and renew it's ip address in the menu.

If you find that modem and want to know a good way to release and renew, then give us the model number and we can show you, or you can call verizon or open a chat support and ask them to clear your dhcp - 

once verizon clears it, you can put whatever modem you want on there.  

OR if you leave it completely powered down for 4 hours, the lease will clear all by itself, and then you can power up any modem you want.

0 Likes
Evgenia

I had red light before with my old modem which I still have, I'will try again. Thank you!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's possible something on Verizon's network is still without power or has gotten damaged. Internet service is considered a non-lifeline service so I wouldn't be surprised if a Central Office were still without power and only running with Telephone service.

Try contacting Verizon on the phone and ask them to check to see what's going on with your circuit. It might be failing ATM OAM Ping tests, it might have a good connection to the ATM network but failing to get a route, could be anything. RED Internet light if nothing has changed on your end is typically an equipment fault on their end. Your modem has a DSL signal, so something is at least working. Let them know about it.

0 Likes
vanative1

I called on 7/3 about the service outage (I'm in North Reston and my DSL has been out since the storm), and after finally navigating through the phone help menus, was able to speak with a tech support rep.  He checked the pending open service tickets and stated that the DSL service is out due to the power outage in the Arlington area, so until that is restored, no DSL. He did not provide an estimate of when that would be restored.  While frustrating, I understand that some are still without power so trying hard not to complain, but it is puzzling that an outage in Arlington would affect DSL service in Reston--seems like an odd connection.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@vanative1 wrote:

I called on 7/3 about the service outage (I'm in North Reston and my DSL has been out since the storm), and after finally navigating through the phone help menus, was able to speak with a tech support rep.  He checked the pending open service tickets and stated that the DSL service is out due to the power outage in the Arlington area, so until that is restored, no DSL. He did not provide an estimate of when that would be restored.  While frustrating, I understand that some are still without power so trying hard not to complain, but it is puzzling that an outage in Arlington would affect DSL service in Reston--seems like an odd connection.

It's possible some key equipment is found in a CO in Arlington, especially if it is nearby. It could also be possible you're coming out of that central office too, as areas such as mine often have a CO serving 5-6 different towns. My CO serves two cities, and two towns along with I believe an entire island. One of the cities is getting FiOS from that same CO. Easily a good 15-25 mile stretch in service area from my CO.

Who knows. If Verizon is acknowledging an issue, the service should come back up once they are able to bring gear back online. It's a GOOD thing that they are.

0 Likes