Nook Wi-fi Connection
nookuser

My nook will not connect to my home's verizon DSL. I've rebooted, disconnected and reconnected the router (per thread below), etc. Is there a conflict between my nook and my verizon service because of Barnes and Noble's relationship with ATT? Will Verizon support Wi-fi access via nooks?

0 Likes
Re: Nook Wi-fi Connection
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

What version software is your nook running?

You may want to make sure it's at the latest version which I believ is 1.4

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/index.asp

0 Likes
nookuser

We've long updated the software; no problems there. We've disconnected and reconnected the router; changed to/from WPA2 and WEP; have yet to thy setting the router as a dhcp server, but may do this yet. We're pretty tech-savvy, but can't seem to get onto any wireless hotspot that doesn't have ATT attached to it.

So, per my original post, my question really is whether Verizon isn't supporting the Nook. Any answer to this one? If Verizon can play with the nook, is there a suggested way to reset a standard router to get best wifi results?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try wide open (no WEP/WPA).

0 Likes
meltedone52

Hi just got my nook two days ago.  I was not able to connect to my verizon dsl router either.  but i had change the security settings to a WPA2, and was not broadcasting my ssid.  I tried to input the information manually, which I was able to do, but it still did not connect.  I never saw a setting on the nook that said to connect even if not broadcasting.  So I changed my router setting to broadcast the ssid and I have had no problems since.  I now am hoping to find a way to make nook connect to the router with out it broadcasting.  I like being hidden, I think it is safer.  Help anyone?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@meltedone52 wrote:

Hi just got my nook two days ago.  I was not able to connect to my verizon dsl router either.  but i had change the security settings to a WPA2, and was not broadcasting my ssid.  I tried to input the information manually, which I was able to do, but it still did not connect.  I never saw a setting on the nook that said to connect even if not broadcasting.  So I changed my router setting to broadcast the ssid and I have had no problems since.  I now am hoping to find a way to make nook connect to the router with out it broadcasting.  I like being hidden, I think it is safer.  Help anyone?

--

As addressed in

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25801378-Always-better-to-do-something-then-to-do-nothing-

About SSID Hidding:

#1 It is a false sence of security.

#2 Creates more potential problems, then it helps to any security at all.

--

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What Wireless Routers are both of you using to connect your Nooks to? I don't believe Nooks have any form of restrictions as to what provider/Hotspot service the Nook is used on. If they did, they'd be kind of useless and I'd hear tons of reports about it.

0 Likes
judy110

I have done everything that I can to connect my nook tablet but it keeps syaing secured with wep and will not go any further, seems likeethe wireless isn't set up, what do I need to do to get this connected?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Look on the underside of your router for the WEP key and try entering in the WEP key into the Nook. If the network name (also found on the router, as SSID) is also correct, entering in the WEP key should get you going.

0 Likes